Confused

Please help. Here is my problem: The thermo calls for heat. Everything in the sequence works. ie vent fan,pressure switch, flame, etc. When the thermostat is satisfied the heat shuts off, but the main air and extractor fan stays on, until I manually turn the thermostat to the off position. even if it gets cold in the house, the flame won't come back on until I flip the thermo to "off". When I put it back on heat, the flame will come on and it will work for one cycle, then the fan just stay on. Any Ideas? Thank you. Jack

fan

Look for a plastic window on the blower door through which you will likely see a blinking red LED. Count the number of flashes and see if you can come up with a numerical fault code. For example two long flashes and three short ones repeating over and over would indicate fault #23. Then call a service professional and tell them the code and let them handle it from there.
    ...SHEEESH!!!

Jack... you're right, your fan blows.

Unfortunately it is going to continue to blow until you give us some facts such as the Manuf's name, model and serial of the blower cabinet. Also give us a little history of the past repairs and age of the unit.

We can help you diagnose but can't help you repair it as that goes against the Forum Rules.

So, go get that info and post it. After you do call your local pro and tell him what you found.

Remember them carrier furnace with that little device on them that would trip with high delta t.

You had no other recourse then to call for service when that happen.

They should bring it back.

Confused

Thank you. I checked for blinking lights. There is one blink when the unit comes on, but no pattern such as fast blinks and then a pause. That was the first thing I tried.

It is an Amana GUI. It is about 8 years old. (it came with the 30 year old house, so I don't know the exact age)

I had the same problem about two years ago and replaced a rollout sensor. It worked. This time the rollout sensors still looked good.

So? What do you think?

Jack

Time to pick up the phone. Unlike A/C, a furnace can kill you,instead of making you sweat to death. That furnace is keeping that fan on due to some safety most likely, have it checked. You didn't replace your t-stat on your own lately did you? JMO
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Originally posted by fanblows
    Thank you.
    Jack
    For your safety,you should make sure the combustion vent is not blocked with a birds nest or something...sounds like inducer pressure switch is not doing its job.

dont take any chances with these things.get a pro to look it over.

good luck
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

Everyone was wrong. It was the High Limit Switch. I just cleaned it and put it back in. It runs fine.

Everyone was wrong. It was the High Limit Switch. I just cleaned it and put it back in. It runs fine.
    Thank you,

Now you understand why we do not answer DIY questions.

Thanks for dropping by, Have a nice day.

this is accurate...

Welcome to HVAC TALK. However this site has rules against giving out technical advice to DIY'ers. I have attached a link below for your convenience.

Here's something to think about though...

When was the last time you had that unit cleaned and inspected?

Now you have a problem with the unit. Fuel costs are skyrocketing.

So why not call in a professional to repair the unit? While they are there they can clean and inspect your unit to insure a safe living environment for you and your loved ones. Not to mention, having an efficient running system could save you more than the cost of the service.

What's your safety worth? I'm guessing more than the repair bill.

Thanks for your understanding.

(we can't help DIY, due to site rules )

How do you clean a high limit? I would like to know this, I can just clean them from now on instead of replacing them.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Excuse me BP

The first thing out of his mouth was that we were all wrong.

Professionally, I think the conversation is over and there will only be flame left to spread.

Any other comment will be taken by this person the same way. Unappreciated.

thx