Hybrid View

Cool

I need to replace my HVAC unit in my beach house (Bolivar Peninsula near Galveston TX). The house is around 900 sf. I was told that the type of coils is a factor to consider, related to corrosion. Does this limit my choices for a manufacturer?

The new unit should be rather quiet, as the one that I am replacing is quite noisy, perhaps because it was over-sized to begin with.

And finally, is there a way to calculate requirements if I switch to rigid duct from flex?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Most here would say Trane or American standard as they aluminum coils,and very little copper.I here from others it makes very little difference,but I don't work near that type of salt spray.

First a load calculation,Mna. J type,or do it yourself at the red tab above.for a smalll fee.

Them have them size the ducts per M,the type duct is accounted for in Man. D.

J & D are from http://www.acca.org they are the ANSI approved standard for residential HVAC work.

If you want it to last in that application, get an American Standard or Trane outdoor unit.
    Aluminum coil won't rot away and the bottom can't rust out of it because it is a composite material.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I am on an island where you cannot be any further from the sea than 2.5 miles. Nothing stands up better to salt corrosion than American Standard and Trane units with the all aluminum spine fine coils.

There are many corrosion protection coatings available, I must have seen them all, but they do not compare to the spinefin coils.

I would recommend either Trane/American Standard. Otherwise use an economical builder's model that would be deemed a sacrificial unit and replace it every 4 years.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Thumbs up

Thanks to all who replied. It looks like Trane/AS are the hands down choices. I will ask installer about those two and refrain from coatings. Else go the sacrificial route.

BTW Dash, I was not able to find anything yet on the net for Man M on ducting. I see ACCA has Man J and I believe Man D also.

I worked side by side with Carnak on equipment that was more exposed to salt water and air then any other condition can replicate, and as much as I am not a fan of Trane/A-S, Carnak is correct; we found this type of coil to hold up the best.

I am not even going to mention the runner up, but you all can guess which surprising brand it was. I sure was surprised.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Okay, I will say it, we found some older Goodmans still in decent shape. They must have been 7-8 years old, I know Robo paid more attention to the age than I did

If the outdoor coil gets washed monthly it makes a difference.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/