Thread: use magnetic vent covers or not?

Post Likes
    I have a propane furnance, forced air. Two rooms are not used. Is it ok to block both the supply and return vents with magnetic vent covers in those rooms? It should reduce my heating costs correct? Thanks

Post Likes
    DO NOT USE THOSE!!!

It will cost you more money!

Your system is designed to move a certain amount of air and if you cut that flow down, the equipment will be working harder.
    The fan will push the same amount against a greater static pressure and overwork the fan and overheat the exchanger.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    He's right. You could cause an irrepairable over heat.

Post Likes
    I believe these devices fall under snake oil energy saving sales tactics. These things will not save you and will in fact possibly cause damage as stated by others, costing you.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Post Likes

it really depends on your system. if you have the minimum number of vents required, then covering anything could cause damage. on the other hand, if you have many more vents than the minimum, you could cover some with no ill effects. you could have a contractor look at your system and see if it is ok for you to cover a few vents.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in