Thread: Options, replace oil with electric?

Post Likes
    This maybe a stupid question , but I am going to ask anyway. I live in a mobile home and currently heat with kerosene, using a Miller CMF80-PO. I am considering replacing this furnace because of age and concern about the heat exhanger...it is 10 years old. My question is is it possible to replace this version furnace with an electric furnace....giving up on using kerosene as one of my options. If I cannot convert to electric, I guess I would replace the exisiting furnace with the same thing I currently have. But I would appreciate any guidance any of you would be willing to give me...If it is possible, what would have to be done with vents? registers?? all that stuff...thanks for your help

Post Likes
    you will have to have a 200 amp service
    other then that yes you can buy an electric furnace that will fit and work just fine

call a few companies in your area or post where you are and maybe someone from the board can install one for you

Post Likes
    go to http://www.warmair.com and compair cost of oil and electric for your area. I bet the heating of oil will be chaper than electric.

Post Likes

Thanks

I am living in Harford county Maryland, 8 miles NE of Bel Air, zip 21034. I have 200 amp service to the house already> Is that enough or would I need a separate 200 amp service for the furnace?

Post Likes
    Just one 200 amp service panel is enough. You won't need a separate one.

In Maryland you're going to want a heat pump to go along with the electric furnace, though, to keep the operating cost down.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mack99199
    This maybe a stupid question , but I am going to ask anyway. I live in a mobile home and currently heat with kerosene, using a Miller CMF80-PO. I am considering replacing this furnace because of age and concern about the heat exhanger...it is 10 years old.

A 10 yr old mobile home furnace in Maryland?.....it's still brand new!!! Since it only runs maybe 6 months of the year (3 months more steady for heat), how used up could it be? Here in Connecticut a 10 yr mobile home furnace is doing just fine and could easily see another 10 yrs properly maintained.

Post Likes
    We just replaced oil with 12 SEER pump system. Utility modeled what the operating costs would be based on heat loss. $2500 for oil and $700 for heat pump/electric. The customer said based on what they've been paying, that $2500 probably would be very close. Of course we have some extremely low electric rates.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in