Just curious...how long ago did they start putting the coils below the air handlers with electric heating units and what was the reasoning? And what is the downside of having an older unit with that installation?

If I have to guess, I would say that the coils could leak onto the electrical components and cause shorts...and if that's so, would you recommend that these older units be replaced even if they are still working?

Assuming you are talking about air handlers that discharge air "up".

The reason is so that manufs can stock one indoor unit for both electric heat and heat pumps. Heat pump coil shouldn't be heated by the elect. elements, would raise pressure too high and be a potential fire hazard. It has been this way for many many years.

As for the water above the power.....what would water dripping on live wires matter? A little sizzle maybe but that won't hurt a thing.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Originally posted by envirodude
    and if that's so, would you recommend that these older units be replaced even if they are still working?
    I never understand why someone would WAIT until their equipment fails before replacing it. Do you want to be at a disadvantage on price negotiation or something? Do you want to be uncomfortable during peak season or something? Do you want the rookie crew that just fell of the turnip truck to do your install?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Thanks...but should 21 years really be considered old...that is, afterall, the drinking age here in Texas.

Of course, that's 147 in dog and air conditioner years so Coleman MUST have really been a decent brand to last that long in South Texas...the metal cabinet on the condensing unit isn't even rusted out.