Hybrid View

I had an attic space finished, and part of it involved routing existing 4" insulated flex-duct from the first-floor vent fans over and around joists. Now the fans appear to be fully obstructed.

Is there any trick to finding how far into a 25-foot run of flex-duct is an obstruction? Nobody I talked to had any ideas but there must be something better than ripping up floors and drywalls to expose the whole run?

Originally posted by dbooksta
    I had an attic space finished, and part of it involved routing existing 4" insulated flex-duct from the first-floor vent fans over and around joists. Now the fans appear to be fully obstructed.

Is there any trick to finding how far into a 25-foot run of flex-duct is an obstruction? Nobody I talked to had any ideas but there must be something better than ripping up floors and drywalls to expose the whole run?
    Check where you monkeyed around with the duct work. If it worked before it is probably something you've inadvertantly done. Also, there are two sleeves in insulated duct work. I had a cust. do the same thing you're talking about. The insulation at the connection slipped into the duct and blocked off his return to the a/c.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Do you have a house cat and have you seen him lately?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Exclamation Valued Instrument

Originally posted by dbooksta
    You mean
    you Actually have flex duct that is not entirely accessible?

Use a Tape Measure!

Also, Reminder:
    There are two ends to each duct.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities