Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub-meter

We are the mechanical on a 148 unit senior housing project. Each unit will have a magic-pak gas /electric thru the wall unit. I gave the G.C. a C.O. a 108K proposal to install natural gas sub-meters for each unit. The local utility will only meter the complete building. The owner / operator would like to bill each tenant. The 108K is too big (not my margin). Does anyone have an idea on remote runtime heat use? Each unit is to have a stand alone t-stat. All 148 units are the same btu/hr.

If all things are equal then why not just divide the gas bill by 148?

The building has a heated parking garage, large domestic hotwater heaters, common area rooftops and hallway furnaces. The owner does not want to convert to electric heat in the residences. The owner wants a way to “push” some of the operation costs to the residents that will be excessive users.

Better check with your state government agency on that. I've heard of some considering the owner that is sub-metering out the utilities as a utility company and that gets the owner into a big mess with taxes, licensing and other issues in a hurry. Others may verify what I've said but I've only heard of it, don't know anyone personally.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

meter the current to the gas valve.never heard of it before,you might be the first

I will do some homework on taxes and liability. The local gas utility NICOR stated they see this a lot and suggested that we install the sub-meters for the residences.

I am hoping someone may have used a Lon system that could log heating runtime. It’s a shame they do not have a DDC system to operate the building.

Well, tough to do with those cheap, not-so-magic-pak units.

It would have been easier to BTU meter flow with hot water.

Most controllers can calculate run-time on inputs/outputs.
    Maybe look up gas flow meters.

Meter

These wingnuts at least have Modbus which you could then tie into an ilon100 server an aggregate data and have a server to setup individual billing to the residents.

Sysint, I checked with my Magic-pak rep. today he said yet do not offer a factory mounted controller. It looks like my best option is a networked T7350 or a similar device. I am worried the “older” residents will find a networked t-stat a complicated device.

Your recommened meter would be great but big $/point.The problem is keeping $/point low and the network wire is the killer. Today I looked at a simple digital hour meter connected to the W side to the unit. I should be able to do an hour meter for $300 / point. The operator would have to have the resident or maintenance staff read the hour meter at each furnace closet.

Your big problem isn't the money - it's following the regulations regarding sub metering which is looking for a meter, not a thermostat.

And if I was (maybe I am already) one of those old folks, I would not be happy to get charged for heat when thermostat is calling but my unit may be busted and not heating. How long does it take for a average tech to get to site? 1,2,3,... hours.
    Just because W is on does not mean the unit is heating, especially if you are going to charge for it.

[Edited by amigo on 10-25-2005 at 02:42 PM]

I think your application can be solved with a wireless metering device. I know that EnFlex has done projects like this.

Contact Gerry Lands @enflex.net. He can help if anyone can.

Thanks to all for the valuable information. The owner has elected to have me install a submeter at each furnace. The design requires a maintenance person to enter each space to read the meter. I had quoted meters in a common space but it boiled down to a $ question. The use of run time was appealing due to low first cost but since it was not a direct flow rate it was not considered. Electronic meters tied to a network were big $/ point. On the legal side, the owners counsel is doing the homework on submetering. As of now, the owner can not make a profit on the gas as per Illinois law and the leases will have to inform the renters how the billing will work.

Steve

"As of now, the owner can not make a profit on the gas as per Illinois law and the leases will have to inform the renters how the billing will work."

Does the gas company make a profit? Something tells me if you are responsible for sub-meters you can charge for their proper maintenance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast