How difficult to move an AC unit?
    Hello,

My current AC unit sits on my ground level deck and as I need to do so work underneath the deck, I need to disconnect the unit, move it for a couple of weeks (i.e. let it sit somewhere while I do my work), then reconnect it (same location). I am even thinking of cutting my deck and place the unit on a pad with pump-ups (to make it level with deck and to be at same level as currently to avoid to have to do modifications the connecting lines).

Anyhow, how big of a job is it? I really have no idea of what is invloved to disconnect and reconnect a unit. I would not want to do this (unit is quite old but working) if the price is close to buying/installing a new unit as I assume that the cost of installing the new one would include removing the old one.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Yves, Nothern Virginia.

If the units old like you say, I'd probly lean towards replacing it at this time. Paying someone to take it out & reinstall it is putting a lot of money into a old unit. Companies should give free estimates. I'd just get em to estimate it both ways & then decide for yourself. I'd see what the difference is for the 2 estimates & then see how much a new one would be if installed at a later date & see how much your savings would be.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

It's pretty easy if you have the tools, training & experience.

If not, there are quite a few things that can go wrong.

Consider getting it permanently relocated to avoid twice the expense.

A local contractor can give you prices, maybe even over the phone. (ballpark)

one other consideration is the minimum standards going into effect in jan. 2006.

depending on how long you will live there, you may get stuck paying for a higher efficency unit later, rather than a lower efficiency unit now.

after jan. 2006, manufacturers may no longer produce any equipment under 13 seer. the current minimum is 10 seer, so if you are planning to move in the next several years, it may be financially in your interest to get quotes on both moving and installing new.

good luck

[Edited by billva on 10-20-2005 at 08:35 PM]