Insulating the plenum in an attic or not?

I noticed that while all the ductwork in my attic is insulated that the plenum and aquacoil unit off the air handler get very hot or cold to the touch depending on the air blowing. Shouldn't they be fully insulated since I'm in the North and would worry about ice dams from heat loss at this component. The air handler itself appears to be well insulated internally. My HVAC contractor said you don't insulate them as there is some problem doing so - that's what he told my builder at least when I asked for them to be insulated per plans calling for all ductwork to be insulated. What's the real story - should they or shouldn't they be insulated?

Thanks!

Re: Insulating the plenum in an attic or not?

Originally posted by newhomeboston
    I noticed that while all the ductwork in my attic is insulated that the plenum and aquacoil unit off the air handler get very hot or cold to the touch depending on the air blowing. Shouldn't they be fully insulated since I'm in the North and would worry about ice dams from heat loss at this component. The air handler itself appears to be well insulated internally. My HVAC contractor said you don't insulate them as there is some problem doing so - that's what he told my builder at least when I asked for them to be insulated per plans calling for all ductwork to be insulated. What's the real story - should they or shouldn't they be insulated?

Thanks!
    What does the manufacturer suggest? Who makes the unit? Some installers insulate air handlers and everthing that is connected to some systems. I have even seen insulated storage tanks with additional insulation.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Its a Trane AH but I don't worry about that unit, just the plenum and aquacoil unit - it doesn't make sense why those can't be insulated like they tell me - I think they just don't want to do it.

What do you you mean by aquacoil? The evap?
    That should be inside the AH and insulated internally.

I have an "aquacoil" unit is attached to the end of the air handler just before the plenum. This is where hot water pipes are heating the air. So my question was - is there any reason why these 2 pieces shouldn't be insulated on the outside with some fiberglass blanket?

It could be that these parts are internally lined, but I don't see any problem with wrapping with insulation. However, I usually read the installation instructions if I'm not yet familiar with a unit, because the designer's logic is not always obvious. Would anything overheat if insulated and not allowed to radiate?