+ Reply to Thread

Thread: compressor issue when charging

Post Likes

compressor issue when charging

so i am a certified tech and was working on a 10-15 year old payne unit suction pressure was 40 so i added r-22. 8 oz. vapor. unit taking refrigeranty at a very slow rate so i added 8 more oz. in a liquid 4 at a time slowly. this got the suction pressure to about 75 and all of a sudden compressor makes intermittent wierd sounds sending the pressure up and down between 75 and 120. then compressor just stopped working. disconnected power and am hoping i just flooded it and in the morning it will be fine. what do you think???

Post Likes
    Did it go "ngung ngung ngung PATCHEWWW"? and then repeat a few times before it died?

And then go "HMMMMMM click"?
    Last edited by monkeyspanners; 07-14-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: more tech info!

Post Likes
    if its recip comp may be the one way valve letting liquid back through

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyspanners View Post
    Did it go "ngung ngung ngung PATCHEWWW"? and then repeat a few times before it died?

Thats good diagnosic info there LOL

My coworker always tries to imitate sounds-usually he ends up getting mad at us when we make him repeat it about 4 or 5 times.

Post Likes

just thought it beared repeating
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes

Bahahahahaha

Post Likes

And why are you not a Pro here???

Post Likes
    Did you ever check the HIGH side pressure while it was running. There may have been a restriction or a TXV power assembly loosing charge and you were overcharging it causing the head to climb.

Post Likes
    Just remember the DIY thingy here guys

Post Likes
    as far as sound effects go you nailed it. good description... i take it you may have heard that sound in your day. any idea what that is/ how to avoid repeating? forgot to mention that i went back today and compressor workede and system ran fine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stemps22 View Post
    as far as sound effects go you nailed it. good description... i take it you may have heard that sound in your day. any idea what that is/ how to avoid repeating? forgot to mention that i went back today and compressor workede and system ran fine.
    Let professional charge units. liquid slugging is the term.

Post Likes
    yeah man i am a pro with more learning to go. (2 years schooling and a little less than a year field experience) thanks for the term information, however i'm curious to know what actually happened. i work for a small company and would like more feedback than the one other tech had to offer thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stemps22 View Post
    yeah man i am a pro with more learning to go. (2 years schooling and a little less than a year field experience) thanks for the term information, however i'm curious to know what actually happened. i work for a small company and would like more feedback than the one other tech had to offer thanks
    When you were in school, they taught you about pressure temperature relationship and some measurements that are taken by using BOTH a pressure AND a temperature.

Go ahead and start using those readings.

As to what actually happened, you probably over-charged it.

Hermetic reciprocating compressors are refrigerant cooled, so a little liquid isn't likely to hurt a healthy compressor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    When you were in school, they taught you about pressure temperature relationship and some measurements that are taken by using BOTH a pressure AND a temperature.

Go ahead and start using those readings.

As to what actually happened, you probably over-charged it.

Hermetic reciprocating compressors are refrigerant cooled, so a little liquid isn't likely to hurt a healthy compressor.
    great advice and thank you

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    And why are you not a Pro here???
    Not to be contentious, but some folks, myself included, never saw the need to become "pro".
    I joined in 2005 and applied for pro status in 2011.
    My status as a pro or as not a pro, never impacted my ability to provide for me and mine, nor did it sell or lose any jobs.
    In fact, a couple of the pro members here, unbeknown to me, were the local gurus I consulted when having a problem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Not to be contentious, but some folks, myself included, never saw the need to become "pro".
    I joined in 2005 and applied for pro status in 2011.
    My status as a pro or as not a pro, never impacted my ability to provide for me and mine, nor did it sell or lose any jobs.
    In fact, a couple of the pro members here, unbeknown to me, were the local gurus I consulted when having a problem.
    The point is this site is not supposed to be about giving DIY advice to people who may not be in the trade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Is this true for Scrolls too?
    Knowledge is Truth.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    Is this true for Scrolls too?
    Scrolls are quite tolerant of liquid as well.

Post Likes
    Are you in Richmond, VA?

I took 11 lbs 5 ozs out of an AC this morning that only holds 9lbs to get the superheat right....
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    haha nah man nc, i put 16 ounces total and it was then charged properly. thats pretty sad tho 11 pounds over charged. i have more to learn but i believe i'm well past doing anything like that

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in