Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

compressor issue when charging

so i am a certified tech and was working on a 10-15 year old payne unit suction pressure was 40 so i added r-22. 8 oz. vapor. unit taking refrigeranty at a very slow rate so i added 8 more oz. in a liquid 4 at a time slowly. this got the suction pressure to about 75 and all of a sudden compressor makes intermittent wierd sounds sending the pressure up and down between 75 and 120. then compressor just stopped working. disconnected power and am hoping i just flooded it and in the morning it will be fine. what do you think???

Did it go "ngung ngung ngung PATCHEWWW"? and then repeat a few times before it died?

And then go "HMMMMMM click"?
    Last edited by monkeyspanners; 07-14-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: more tech info!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyspanners View Post
    Did it go "ngung ngung ngung PATCHEWWW"? and then repeat a few times before it died?

Thats good diagnosic info there LOL

My coworker always tries to imitate sounds-usually he ends up getting mad at us when we make him repeat it about 4 or 5 times.

just thought it beared repeating
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Bahahahahaha

And why are you not a Pro here???

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    And why are you not a Pro here???
    Not to be contentious, but some folks, myself included, never saw the need to become "pro".
    I joined in 2005 and applied for pro status in 2011.
    My status as a pro or as not a pro, never impacted my ability to provide for me and mine, nor did it sell or lose any jobs.
    In fact, a couple of the pro members here, unbeknown to me, were the local gurus I consulted when having a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Not to be contentious, but some folks, myself included, never saw the need to become "pro".
    I joined in 2005 and applied for pro status in 2011.
    My status as a pro or as not a pro, never impacted my ability to provide for me and mine, nor did it sell or lose any jobs.
    In fact, a couple of the pro members here, unbeknown to me, were the local gurus I consulted when having a problem.
    The point is this site is not supposed to be about giving DIY advice to people who may not be in the trade.

if its recip comp may be the one way valve letting liquid back through

Did you ever check the HIGH side pressure while it was running. There may have been a restriction or a TXV power assembly loosing charge and you were overcharging it causing the head to climb.

Just remember the DIY thingy here guys

as far as sound effects go you nailed it. good description... i take it you may have heard that sound in your day. any idea what that is/ how to avoid repeating? forgot to mention that i went back today and compressor workede and system ran fine.

Quote Originally Posted by stemps22 View Post
    as far as sound effects go you nailed it. good description... i take it you may have heard that sound in your day. any idea what that is/ how to avoid repeating? forgot to mention that i went back today and compressor workede and system ran fine.
    Let professional charge units. liquid slugging is the term.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast