Thread: Heating Question

Post Likes
    I am new to the board and had some questions. I have a lennox heat pump and furnace(electric)I have installed a programmable thermostat(honeywell). Everything is working ok in the normal heat/cool mode. I decided to test it last night in emergency heat for a few minutes. When it first comes on its cool air, but then eventually it warms up. I know the heat strips are working since the outside unite is off. My question is it normal for the air to first out cool and then take a minute to warm up? I also noticed if I turn the emergency heat off the furnace blower will still run for about a minute before it cuts off. Is this normal? The blower only does this in emergency mode. I have a wire jumping aux and E so I am thinking that maybe I need to remove it. Thanks for your help.

Post Likes
    I am guessing you have 4 elements and only two are working due to miswiring of the stat.

Programmable stats are NOT recommended for heat pumps in the heat mode.

Yes it is normal for the blower to run a minute after stat satisfies.

Suggest you have your system checked by a professional. He will most likely find an air flow problem and/or dirt leakage problem that can save you much trouble in the future. I know you want to DIY but it might save you money if you just leave it alone and let a person (not a company) with experience service it as needed.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    Sequencers take a while to bring on elements plus they take a while after the call for heat ends to shut off and shut the fan off.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the response. The service tech is coming out next week to do the fall service, so I am just going to let him look at it. To me the wiring should to ok since it was wire for wire the same as the old tstat, but who knows. I know this is a long shot but maybe you can see a mistake in the wiring.

Old NEW

R R-JUMPERED TO RC
    G G
    Y Y
    0 0/B
    C C
    W2 AUX- JUMPERED TO E

Post Likes
    That is typical though Lennox heat pump wiring isn't always typical.

Post Likes
    I have heard the lennox heat pump is a little different as far as wiring. I just cant see how it can be wired differently. Accept maybe not needing the jumper from aux and e.

Post Likes
    mgfarmer please fill out your profile. I think you might be sidejobbing this for your neighbor.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    HAHA. Im just a new homeowner who is new to all this. I probably should have left the thermostat that was hooked up, but I wanted a programmable thermostat for the summer. A/C and regular heat work great. Just cant figure the emergency heat. It seems like the fan is coming on before the heat strips are engaged. This is causing the air to come out cool when it first comes on.

Post Likes
    The stat probably does energize the fan immediately while it takes a minute before the sequencer brings on the elements. All sounds normal to me. I suppose you could find a stat that doesn't automatically bring on the blower with a call for emergency heat.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. I am pretty confident that its wired correctly. I'll have the tech double check it next week. I really think this tstat is just designed to turn on the blower and heat strips at the same time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in