Having a problem with an American Standard unit. The compressor will run maybe 10-20 seconds and cut out. The amp draw when the compressor is running starts at about 7 and watching my amp probe, everytime the amp draw gets to 10, the compressor cuts out on internal overload. Cool the compressor off and try it again, same thing. Checked run capacitar and start capacitar. Kinda stumped, don't want to rule it as a bad compressor if thats not what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

what are pressures before cut out?

change the run capacitor.
    take out the S-cap (and P-relay)
    put on a supco start jobber to see what happens
    if you dont have one of those handy,then just piddle with those start componants,check for skinned wires or shorted at compressor terminals,ect...
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

Did you have your manifold gauges on it while trying to start? Did the gauges move at all? Is it really starting? You aren't pulling enough amps to be locked rotor unless there is a problem with your meter. If something was broke internally, it would start and pull very low amps, but I'd think it would run longer than 10-20 seconds before the internal overload took it out. Is the compressor hot to the touch? Something don't add up....

Bobby

Head gets to about 150 and suction is on its way up when it cuts out. It doesn't really have time to give an accurate guage reading.

I had one do the samething just last year it was a bad internal overload. And the compressor was brand new out of the box so they had me check for restrictions everywhere when it was just the bad overload. But your pressures don't show a restriction try temperature readings at outlet of compressor or discharge line to see if it may be a blocked or restricted line before pressure readings.

ive had capacitors test good but not work. also if compressor is hot and starts and there is a refrigerant circuit problem or low charge compressor cant cool and will go off on internal overload.

I would check the amp draw in the start winding during start up. Maybe the start cap is not dropping out?

You could also take the start kit off and try it.

"And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

What the temps? Clean coils? How old is the system? It poping of on internalor it just droping out? What your volt drop? whats your shell temp? I was say screw it replace the cap and let run.
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living