Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mebane, NC (midpoint between Greensboro and Raleigh)
    I am currently facing the most frustrating purchase decision of my homeowning career. (whopping 3 years). I have a 1,453 SF house outside of Greensboro, NC that was built in 1990 with the original split system running on natural gas.

My furnace is not broken, although I feel like i'm on borrowed time, and the AC unit had a hard time keeping up this summer on hotter days. With natural gas prices going up, and the overall age of the system I feel like I should replace it. However, we only plan on being here another 4-5 years.

Issue #1 I'm unable to obtain any efficiency information on my current system:
    Mfg: Snyder General Corporation
    Furnace model: DGHA100A016BN
    AC model: H801030

Issue #2 If I am to replace the system, what do I replace it with? I've had four different contractors suggest four different setups. I could not possibly be more confused.
    Trane dealer A: Gaspack 12 seer; 8 HSPF & reconfigue all ducts
    Trane dealer B: Dual fuel 13 seer; 8.5 HSPF; 91% AFUE
    Amana/Goodman dealer: replace existing split system w/ 13 seer and 92% AFUE
    Bryant/Carrier dealer: heatpump only

Any advice or wisdom is much appreciated.

(Sorry for the autobiographical novel)

Boy, if I had a nickle for every time I'd hear, "we're only planninig on living here for 4-5 yrs" I'd be pretty darn rich.

Does'nt anyone stay put anymore...

Did any of those contractors do a manual J load calculation? This will tell you what size of a system you need to heat and cool your home. Make sure the company pulls a permit and has the job inspected. Read up on the differences between split systems, gas packs and heat pumps. Depending on your year round ambient temperature, one of these systems will be more beneficial than the other.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Mebane, NC (midpoint between Greensboro and Raleigh)
    No, none of the contractors performed any manual j calculations. Even though two of the four are quite reputable in the area. I was tempted to purchase some software mentioned in another thread. However, I tried using a trial version and quickly realized that you all are well-trained professionals and that I was in over my head.

My annual average temp. here is 57.8F. Not sure how to factor that into my decision making...

Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    Boy, if I had a nickle for every time I'd hear, "we're only planninig on living here for 4-5 yrs" I'd be pretty darn rich.

Oh they stay put, thats just what they tell us when we are trying to sell em something nice. I've heard this so many times its ridiculous.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

I cant imagine why 1 of those contractors would bid a gas pack if you already have a existing split system. I personally like what the Amana/Goodman dealer is recommending. I betcha he's the least expensive too.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Originally posted by avgeek
    However, we only plan on being here another 4-5 years.
    This must be a lie. If it were true you would have put in a couple window units to take with you when you move.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Restless Nation

Originally posted by hvac hero
    Originally posted by 2hot2coolme

Oh they stay put, thats just what they tell us when we are trying to sell em something nice. I've heard this so many times its ridiculous.
    People actually do move very often. There are many statistics, completed by different universities, that point to a rate of one move between every 5 to 7 years. James Jasper has a book called "Resteless Nation," where he estimates that on average, American families move once every six years. Now, obviously this varies. There people who have not moved in the last 50 years, and there are those who move every year. We all tend to think that our experience is the norm, even though we are actually surrounded by "exceptions".
    With all the stuff happening around is it can get pretty dizzying.

Yeah I belive that the average person moves 5-7 yrs.....that is why Goodman is so popular...that is about its lifespan.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Yeah, and with all you people moving, you buy the cheapest junk out there for the next buyer, and sadly you leave them with the crap you purchased. Nobody has a conscience anymore...

have the furnace checked for integrity and operation.
    if cooling is crapping out you could consider replacing with a heat pump. use gas as auxillary heat ( if your contractor doesn`t understand how this is done.........run away from them.)

where is furnace located....crawl, attic?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

In North Carolina you'd be doing yourself a disservice by NOT getting either a heat pump or dual fuel. Gas-only heat just can't compete with the operating cost of using a heat pump, at least as a primary heat source, in a mild climate with low to moderate electric rates.

One way or another, get a Manual J load calculation done, even if you have to pay for it up front. Getting the size of the equipment right is critical for comfort and efficiency.

he's right if your winters are mild a gas furnace piggybacked with an HP is the way togo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast