Thread: Manually opening/closing forced air zones...

Post Likes
    I'm a homeowner who decided to put the heat on for time last night. Its a forced hotair system.

The furnace kicked on and the blower appears to be working, but no air is coming through the ducts, so I've determined that it must be the zone-flapper things won't open (I tried a couple zones).

I've called my HVAC guy but haven't heard from him yet. Tonight is going to be cold here in CT so I really need some heat. My thought was if there was some way I could manually open these flaps I could get by until I get the guy out.

The flap motors appear to have power because I can see them and the little green lights are on, but for whatever reason they aren't responding to the thermostat.

So can I force them open somehow, either electronically or manually?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    DO NOT force them open. if anything in an emergency take out a few screws and slide them out. most dampers i have seen are power close dampers so they fail open. you may have other problems besides damper. best thing would be wait for service. unless pipes will freeze just throw on a couple extra blankets.

Post Likes
    did you check to make sure the filter(s) are not plugged?

Post Likes
    Lucky for me, my HVAC guy called me back late yesterday afternoon and was doing work on the house next door!
    So he sent a guy over and determined that it was actually the blower relay that crapped out on me.

He also suggested that I not mess with the dampers on my own.

But luckily I had heat last night so I'm happt.

Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in