Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: quit smoking

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    want to quit, any advise, any success stories?

Smoked five packs a day. Quit 6 years ago. No problem. If its time to quit, you will. I didn't use any aids, just smoked my last one, flipped the butt out the window and never looked back. Of course, I gained 40 pounds. Watch out for that.

Smile On a lighter note

I had a friend once that bought a brand new car. I guess back in the 50's. It had a built in cigarette lighter. He was used to lighting up with a match then chunking it out. So down the highway he goes. Pushes the lighter button in, pulls it out, and lights up. Then throws the lighter out the window! There are places around here where it is 50 miles between stores. Good luck though, wait I mean, good luck is making good decisions. Roy

Finally a topic I can comment on with some experience

I have been fighting a 4 pk a day habit for 2 years now. I went through the Veterans Administrations stop smoking program 3x lasted a few months and went back to the smokes. The V. A program gives you the patches and gum if you attend classes....its a good program...seems like I always looked for an excuse to go grab a pack...wife poo pissed me off ..grab smokes.

For now I'm using the patches and gum along with some "Australian Chewing Sticks" (tea tree and cinnamon flavored tooth picks) that I get from the health food stores. This combo seems to be working. I do fine..not grumpy...until I get around a group of smokes then some how I end up with a cigarette in my hand...magic ..best advice...try the patches and gum....the tooth picks work for something to put in your hand and mouth...and avoid smokers
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

I had a two pack a day habit. I tried to quit a hundred times before I actually did. I would go cold turkey for eight months and then pick them up again. I really didn't want to quit bad enough those times. When I finally got tired of being short of breath, and really wanted to quit, I got the patch. Even using these aids it is still hard to kick the habit. At the time the strongest patch was equivellent to 10 cigarettes in a 24 hour period. I had that many for breakfast, but knowing that patch was on my arm gave me comfort. Kicking the habit was the best thing I ever did. The best advice was given to you by doglips STAY AWAY FROM OTHER SMOKERS. If you smoke twice as much when you drink avoid that as well. I haven't smoked in 5 years and am glad to have the money I wasted on cigarettes back in my pocket.
    You can't be everything to everybody.

Originally posted by troyorr
    Smoked five packs a day. Quit 6 years ago. No problem. If its time to quit, you will. I didn't use any aids, just smoked my last one, flipped the butt out the window and never looked back. Of course, I gained 40 pounds. Watch out for that.
    Me too exactly the same.

3 packs a day here, my wife one pack a day, I want to quit but dont want to(I know other smokers know what Im talking about)

I did it with the patches. I figure if I go back I wasted a 100 bucks that I spent on the patches.

Originally posted by troyorr
    Smoked five packs a day.
    If I smoked 5 packs in one day I'd cough up my pancreas..

Seriously, though.. the gum seems to have the highest success rate. Pick a normal weekday when you won't have a lot of stress. And do NOT drink for a week or two.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

Maybe I can give you a reason to quit.In January I weighed about 190lbs and was working 12hr days.By March I weighed 120 and was in a wheelchair.They found lung cancer.Now I'm doing chemo and radiation and hoping it helps.Three packs a day plus the other crap we breath in this line of work took it's toll.The bottom line is quit.

Quit the nasty 2 pack a day habit 15 years ago. At the time nicorette was the only thing available. It helped tame the urge. I chewed approximately 500 toothpicks.

Now all I have to do is think about how the tobacco industry manipulated me by tweaking the nicotine to keep me hooked. I guess you could call me a bitter reformed smoker.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

I quit for 2 years myself - got addicted to the gum though. Couldn't phase out like you're supposed to. But the gum really did help and I didn't mind quitting at all.

But as much gum as I was chewing, it was like a $80 a week gum habit, so switched back to the smokes - hard to believe - only smoke $40 worth a week in cigs.

If manufactures made the gum cheaper than the cigs, I'd switch back in a heartbeat. I guess they really dont want you to quit, or they'd make it affordable!

BTW - if you do go with the gum, Walmart's house brand is the cheapest I found

"Dodge is a damn fine car. Ran over my wife with a Dodge" - Zeke, Married with children

While I was in the military, I was called to the clinic late one Saturday night. One of my workers had been admitted. He was wearing two stop smoking patches, chewing nicorete gum, drinking large quantities of beer and decided to light a smoke. The overload, combination of nicotine and beer caused his heart to skip a few beats and he passed out. Fourtunatly he was okay by the end of the weekend. He did quit smoking though. I would not recommend his method.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast