Thread: New Furnace

I am a new homeowner so please forgive my innocence and lack of knowledge but I really need help with choice of new furnace and installation.

Location: New York: Long Island. Avg winter temp is 25 to 30 degrees. 1400 sq ft house.

Existing furnace: Brand: Crown 3 zone system

Problem: Recent rain (Over 18 inches in span of 5 days) caused basement to flood. Basement had 18 inches of water. 1/3 of the furnace was under water.

Inspection: Plumber said cost to repair would be just as much as new furnace. He said electrical is damaged and filter? is clogged with water. His estimate for new unit w/ labor is $2,800.

I just need opinion on ballpark figure for installation of new furnace and what type of furnace I should purchase. I am planning on moving within a year and don't want to spend extra if I don't have to.

Just need opinion.

[Edited by kstevege on 10-19-2005 at 09:52 PM]

t would be impossible to give advise to you with out being there.
    call arround and get another opinioun for your self
    then get prices from at least three contractors
    this is the only way you will be able to get an answer
    also now is thing time to tell them any problems you have with heating your house and have a heat loss done so you can get the correct size unit for the best comfort at the least operating cost

Thanks for the reply. I'll get anbother estimate immediately. The heat loss analysis is also a great idea. Thanks!