Thread: mandatory secondary condensate pans

Post Likes

Smile

On horizontal applications installed in the attics of houses, there exists a primary pan underneath the coil encased in the housing and then a secondary pan is installed directly beneath the unit if in the event the primary fails. This secondary pan is a joke. First of all it is flat bottomed but installed on a slant and second of along it does not allow for condensate to easily flow out the pvc. Rather it builds up in the pan and then rusts it. I have since started using a new product that is made of ABS(plastic) and has a sloped bottom side centerdrain that is much better. In fact all you do is connect an elbow and the 3/4 in. pvc to it and its done. Cheaper than the metal flat bottom pans. Has any other person out there wondered why we even still have flat bottomed sheet metal pans installed on these type of systems?

Post Likes
    The secondary pan is only to be used as insurance, should be tilted to the drain and the drain line should terminate when it will tell the home owner that he or she has a problem.

I used a couple of the ABS pans but they had tiny pin holes in them .

Post Likes
    Originally posted by newproductman
    is made of ABS(plastic) and has a sloped bottom side centerdrain that is much better. In fact all you do is connect an elbow and the 3/4 in. pvc to it and its done. Cheaper than the metal flat bottom pans.
    So do you craw up under the plenum to hook up the drain line?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Actually you do not have to crawl up under the plenum. The drain can either be in the center of the bottom panel or for ease of installation can come with as a "side bottomed drain. This way the pan need not be tilted anymore.

Post Likes
    Are you about to SPAM drain pans you have a vested interest in ?

Post Likes
    Is this pan on some sort of legs what holds it up off the drain line or is it suspended?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    it's suspended on the underside of the plenum. Just like the other one was---------

Post Likes
    I think those pans should only be made out of metal. I did a home inspection the other day that had 2 systems. The home inspector said both pans were cracked. I go up in the attic & he was right. Both furnaces had black plastic pans under em & both were had huge cracks & gaps in em. So now I have to go in there with a couple of guys & try picking the furnace up & sliding in new pans & hooking them up.

I've seen lots of those black plastic pans used for hot water heaters too & so many of them are cracked. Therefore any pan I ever install will be metal.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Just changed out several of the abs plastic pans last month at a business. The heat in the attic had made them all so brittle that the least little pressure on them caused them to crack or break. Once I found the source of the water leak on the first unit and showed the crack in the pan to the maintenance guy, he told me to change them all out. We didn't get any of them out of the building without breaking them they were so brittle. Metal is the way to go and if it is done properly, the water won't be there long enough to rust it out. Usually a drain over a doorway or a float switch to alert the customer to the problem, or both, is the way we do it around here.

Bobby

Post Likes
    My setup is an ABS black pan with a condensate pump set in it. If the pump overflows into the pan a float switch shuts off the compressor outside. Hope it works like it should if all fails.

Post Likes
    If it is in an attic, the heat will breakdown the plastic in the pan and make it very brittle over time. Until then, you should be fine.

Bobby

Post Likes
    i wouldn't want a condensate pump in an attic in Boston. you may have freezing issues. where does this pump drain? do you empty it after ac season? is this a condensing furnace that will utilize the pump during winter?

Post Likes
    I'm going to fill it with antifreeze this weekend as AC is now done for the season. And it isn't a condensing heat unit - its an aquacoil hyrdronic system. That should work right?

Post Likes
    Those plastic drain pans + Texas attic = wet cieling if the primary cloggs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in