We recently bought a house with two goodman heat pumps (1 1/2 and 2 1/2 tons) where the heat pumps are mounted on angle iron frames bolted to the foundation of the house. This was done because house is on the side of a very steep hill. The noise from the units is very pronounced in heating mode. Other than replacing the units (they are brand new so that's probably out of the question), would it help to install vibration pads underneath the units or a sound blanket (not sure if there is such a thing)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. One thing to note, when the system is in cooling mode, the noise isn't nearly as loud.

Thanks.

Waffle pads made of a rubber like material about 1/2" thich are designed for vibration dampening. I carry them in my service truck, and I get them from a wholesaler to HVAC companies. Your HVAC contractor should be able to procure and install them for you.
    Licensing laws are tough, and it's about time.

I am not sure a sound blanket (yeah, there is such a thing) would help your situation, but the cork or rubber isolation pads might. I try to make those things standard on every job we install, but it don't always happen for whatever reason. I once had problems with a Trane heatpump doing what you describe and after trying everything I knew to do, the local Trane rep suggested cutting some strips of lead and hanging two or three over the vapor line to the outdoor unit. I was skeptical, but it worked.

Bobby

I'm not sure of the noise, but any unusual noise to me is a cause for alarm. If the noise sounds like ball bearings slinging around (popping noise), then the system is probably overcharged.

I just worked on a system that was supposed to hold 5 lbs. of refrigerant. The owner said that in the heating mode, it sounded like it was going to sling apart. In cooling mode, the unit purred. Sure enough it was overcharged by 3.5 lbs. The sound you are hearing COULD be from refrigerant going back to the compressor (extremely bad!!!!!).

I would have a reputable company check the units out. A check is much cheaper than a new compressor.

Good catch on call. I hadn't thought about that when I responded, but it is very possible, especially on a new install.

Bobby

I'm also thinking overcharged or improper indoor coil piston. A sound blanket will not help with this kind of vibration noise.

If the problem is harmonics from the refrigerant flow, weight on the suction line will help dampen it.

The rubber pads will help, but the system should also be looked into for possible oversized piston and/or overcharged.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Thanks

thanks for the info. I'll have someone check the charge. regarding the lead strips, where could I get some of those?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by kanedogger
    ... where the heat pumps are mounted on angle iron frames bolted to the foundation of the house...
    Here's the main source of noise transmission. I cringe when I see builders requesting this type of installation. Any small noise becomes a large noise that will be transmitted into the home. If there is any way to get these on the ground, I would highly recommend doing it.

I sure hate it when a thread is started and the final outcome is never revealed.