Thread: Lennox G61

Post Likes
    Two years ago I had a Lennox G61 furnace installed by a large HVAC contracter in the area. At the time my Maple/Chase thermostat's instruction manual said it is not for two stage furnaces. My furnace contracter told me that with the electronics in the G61 my thermostat is fine. I have now heard that it was improperly installed by hooking two wires on the W1 terminal and not using the W2 terminal. In essense I am not getting the savings from a two stage unit. Who is right?

Post Likes
    2 stage was designed more for comfort than savings. The board will time the second stage if your thermostat is single stage.

Your furnace should always start on low fire and then shift to high fire after approximately 10 minutes of run time. If you want high fire to operate on a second stage call from the thermostat (temperature drop in the room) you will need a 2 stage thermostat. Simply call a contractor and have one installed if you want it to operate this way.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    unit is made to be wired either way. preffered way would be 2 stage thermostat. sometimes not enough wires to stat location to easily do. no real savings by 2 stage operation, 2 stage more for comfort longer run cycle on low fire means less temperature swing. timer can be adjusted for length of time unit runs on low fire before kicking up to high. different ways of wiring by different contractors, fact that unit was made for either set up there is no real right or wrong.

Post Likes
    Thanks folks.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by HVAC Pro
    2 stage was designed more for comfort than savings. The board will time the second stage if your thermostat is single stage.

Your furnace should always start on low fire and then shift to high fire after approximately 10 minutes of run time. If you want high fire to operate on a second stage call from the thermostat (temperature drop in the room) you will need a 2 stage thermostat. Simply call a contractor and have one installed if you want it to operate this way.
    What he said.

Post Likes
    If you have a 2 stage thermostat installed, there is a jumper or dip switch on the furnace control board that needs to be moved so the control board will know there is a 2 stage thermostat. Otherwise 2nd stage will kick in after 10 minutes of 1st stage heat, regardless of if the thermostat calls for it or not.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in