Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up using C02 instead of Nitrogen??

is this okay to do, we do not carry nitrogen but have C02 i was just wondering if since they are both inert gasses can i run c02 while brazing??

I have used both and have yet to see a difference.

CO2 will tend to have a bit more moisture in it unless you buy BONE DRY grade CO2.

Co2 is not inert.

Co2 + H2O = carbonic acid. If there is any moisture in the system you are forming acids in there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

HVACR isn't cheap. This field has more specialized and expensive tools than most others. Some you can get along without, some you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by clearchris View Post
    Co2 is not inert.

Co2 + H2O = carbonic acid. If there is any moisture in the system you are forming acids in there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

HVACR isn't cheap. This field has more specialized and expensive tools than most others. Some you can get along without, some you can't.
    Technically, Nitrogen isn't inert, either.

Ever head of Nitrous Oxide?

Once you remove the moisture (EVACUATION) your carbonic acid goes away. Carbonic acid REQUIRES moisture to be an acid.

before we go any further let me get a bowl of

ok, you may continue.......

oh and it really doesn't matter which you use. However IT'S MY PERSONAL OPINION that you should NOT use CO² on a R-410a system. *N* is much drier and it will work better.
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

so the answer is yes its okay to use c02 while brazing but Nitrogen is best?

Quote Originally Posted by RIGUY View Post
    so the answer is yes its okay to use c02 while brazing but Nitrogen is best?
    correct
    The Last four letters

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Technically, Nitrogen isn't inert, either.

Ever head of Nitrous Oxide?

Once you remove the moisture (EVACUATION) your carbonic acid goes away. Carbonic acid REQUIRES moisture to be an acid.
    Well, yes, but the pathway to NO isn't usually directly from n2. I'm not a chemist, but there's probably levels of reactivity.

Also true, you take away the h2o and there's no acid. But isn't it the case that acid + oil -> nasty organic acids? To read the HVACR literature any acid in the system is reason to dump the oil, change your filters, add acid remover, sacrifice a newborn calf and generally freak out.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00
    before we go any further let me get a bowl of
    Hey, my first bowl of popcorn! Extra butter on mine plz!

Lol I was carrying a tank of 22 today into an apartment to charge the system and a lady asked me what I was using helium for?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonite View Post
    Lol I was carrying a tank of 22 today into an apartment to charge the system and a lady asked me what I was using helium for?
    did you tell her it was to make the bong work better
    The Last four letters

any questions

ok, lets get technical

Inert gas (Noble Gases) are in the 18th column of the periodic Table (the whole right side of the table) These include helium (He), neon (Ne), argon (Ar), krypton (Kr), xenon (Xe), and the radioactive radon (Rn). There is one more but no one can spell it.

The Gases are completely dry (devoid of moisture) However, Argon is probably the best of the Noble Gases for welding. If your welding (TIG or MIG) stainless steel tube, you would use argon in the tubes and not nitrogen. Argon is relatively expensive compared to Nitrogen.

But what are we really after here. All we want to do is displace the air in the refrigerant tubes. But we want to do that with *dry* gas, to avoid long vacuum times.

What it boils down to is expense. Nitrogen is very close to the Nobel Gases, but it does the job at reduced over all costs, but CO² is even cheaper than Nitrogen.

so choose your gas, but like I said I would use Nitrogen on any R-410 systems
    The Last four letters

any questions

I remember using N to pressurize lines while brazing to prohibit scale and oxidation of the copper during brazing. not sure what moisture has to do with it. Its the O thats corrosive..
    as far as usng co2 , it may still reduce oxidation but
    since it has an oxide component, not as well, eh.

????

I thought that as well your trying to displace oxygen also to reducing the oxidation scaling on the inside of the pipe.????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast