Thread: should I get a 3rd opinion?

Post Likes

should I get a 3rd opinion?

Hello- Looking for a little advice...

A few months ago I added 1 pound of freon to my 13 year old 3 ton carrier, which I do about every year. A few weeks later, the condensor fan motor went out, so I replaced that myself. I noticed that the air coming out of the vent hasn't been very cool lately.

Called a HVAC tech and he hooked up the gauges and said, I had way too much freon. One gauge was something like 60 and the other was like 500...He said to call the company that just added the freon.

They came back out and hooked up the gauges, then bled them a bit and said the high pressure was from oil that was mixed in with the freon. He bled it down until the pressure was like 50 and 300...

He said I need a new compressor, which is quite expensive, about 1/3 or so the cost of a new unit...

Any advice? or should I get a 3rd opinion? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Post Likes
    get the 3rd opinion

Where are you located? There might be a Pro member here who can fix it.

Did you put the right motor on?
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    I am in Mesa AZ.

Post Likes
    I cf rt he cond is clean and sfill doing it id say there is a restriction in the system. The drier has a strainer oi n it and think oi ng it may be plugged

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by azsniper View Post
    Hello- Looking for a little advice...

A few months ago I added 1 pound of freon to my 13 year old 3 ton carrier, which I do about every year. A few weeks later, the condensor fan motor went out, so I replaced that myself. I noticed that the air coming out of the vent hasn't been very cool lately.

Called a HVAC tech and he hooked up the gauges and said, I had way too much freon. One gauge was something like 60 and the other was like 500...He said to call the company that just added the freon.

They came back out and hooked up the gauges, then bled them a bit and said the high pressure was from oil that was mixed in with the freon. He bled it down until the pressure was like 50 and 300...

He said I need a new compressor, which is quite expensive, about 1/3 or so the cost of a new unit...

Any advice? or should I get a 3rd opinion? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
    Whoa !

While you were replacing the motor, why not fix the system too?

He bled it down until the pressure was like 50 and 300...
    Did you see him lick his thumb and look up in the sky before he did this magic task ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrmair View Post
    I cf rt he cond is clean and sfill doing it id say there is a restriction in the system. The drier has a strainer oi n it and think oi ng it may be plugged
    2nd that clean that condenser with condenser cleaner and water not just one or the other mixem up.

Post Likes
    motor was fixed a month ago...was working fine until this last week or so...had no idea of the compressor until today

Post Likes
    is that what would cause oil to come out of the line where the freon gets put in?

Post Likes
    Might want to stop using the company that just adds refrigerant to get the vapor pressure up. They aren't addressing the real problem. they're just bandaging the symptom.

Post Likes
    I am in Mesa AZ.
    Soooo, you have pressures of 50/300 and its 99* outside rite now and you need a new compressor? You don't need a new compressor you need someone that has a clue of what there doing!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    you are right about that! I have had such bad experiences out here that I don't know where to turn! The copper line (suction?) from the condensor is not ice cold like my other one...I hope I am not mixing up condensor with compressor?

Post Likes
    The compressor is inside the condenser.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Soooo, you have pressures of 50/300 and its 99* outside rite now and you need a new compressor? You don't need a new compressor you need someone that has a clue of what there doing!
    I will second that!

Post Likes
    So if I have those pressures with these temps, any ideas of why there is not cold air coming out of the vents?

Post Likes
    So if I have those pressures with these temps, any ideas of why there is not cold air coming out of the vents?
    Yup, you have a problem that you need someone that knows what there doing to resolve! Here a few names that can help. Scottsdale Air, Howard Air, RJ Perkins, Wolf Mechanical, Air Conditioning by Jay, Canyon State. Call any of these companies and you will have your issue resolved! IMHO

Post Likes
    Thanks jimj....hopefully I can get someone here tomorrow am....

Post Likes
    jimj...most of those companies are on the other side of the valley, any referrals for mesa area?

Post Likes
    jimj...most of those companies are on the other side of the valley, any referrals for mesa area?
    Wolfgangs A/C maybe closer to ya?

Post Likes
    ...............They came back out and hooked up the gauges, then bled them a bit and said the high pressure was from oil that was mixed in with the freon........ROTFLMAO......Any advice?......Yes, Katy bar the door...........or should I get a 3rd opinion?..........I think that would be prudent........I would appreciate any help.......You need it........ Thanks........always glad to be sarcastic yet helpful.....
    I'd call NASA and have them send that tech back to the planet he came from.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in