I have a 2year old goodman gmnt high efficiency furnace in my cabin in Northern Wiscconsin. When I purchased it the shop that is now out of business said that if I turn it off completely for the winter that there is a drain or drain pan that must be emptied so it doesn't freeze and cause damage. I looked by the drain hoses and couldn't see anything else that might have water in it. Is there something that needs to be done besides check to be sure the hoses are drained? Thanks!

If there is a plastic trap assembly, remove it, drain it and tape it on the power switch so you cant turn it back on until you reinstall the trap.

Thanks, is the trap by the drain hoses or somewhere else?

Usually it's inside of the furnace towards the bottom of the unit. Follow the pipe/tubing back and you'll see it.

Originally posted by cozycabin
    Thanks, is the trap by the drain hoses or somewhere else?
    it's attached to the tubing. one in and one out. if this drains to a condensate pump, do not forget about that as well.

jultzya, ill handle this one!

perhaps you should have someone out to look at the furnace. obviously, you arent a tech correct me if wrong

have the furnace cleaned and checked. the tech should know what to do. this is the best advice i can give you

site rules say no diy help!!!!!!!

Originally posted by mr hvac41
    jultzya, ill handle this one!

perhaps you should have someone out to look at the furnace. obviously, you arent a tech correct me if wrong

have the furnace cleaned and checked. the tech should know what to do. this is the best advice i can give you

site rules say no diy help!!!!!!!
    no balloons?

Originally posted by jultzya

(we can't help DIY, due to site rules )
    courtesy of jultzya inc

Okay thanks. The problem is that the nearest goodman tech is 250 miles away. Hopefully someone else can help us.

It is the plastic box with all of the hoses connected to it mounted on the outside of the furnace. Disconnect all of the hoses and empty it. As mentioned, don't try to run the furnace without that trap being properly reinstalled or you will ruin the furnace.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

you dont need a 'goodman' tech! just call the local heating and air company!