carrier 30gt chiller exv

I had an exv on a 1993 era chiller that the lower flange bolts stripped out of the valve body, causing a massive leak. I helicoiled them and installed new bolts. Have another valve same age on unit and it appears ok. Does the newer style exv have an improved design here or is this an isolated problem?
    Another issue is when 3rd stage energizes is unloads circuit 1 compressor, is this the correct sequence of operation? 40 ton chiller w/ 2 comps. thanks for any insight.

The newer EXV's are a totally differant design. They are smaller and do not have any bolts. It is normal for a compressor to unload when another one starts. Stage one compressor starts unloaded. Stage two the comp. loads. Stage three the second comp. starts, and the first comp. unloads. Stage four the first comp. loads, and so on, and so on.

Thanks for the info on staging, I thought it must be correct as I checked wiring against diagram. I replaced an inaccurate evap sensor and cleared up some flooding issues as well. Kind of enjoyed working on something interesting for a change. I'm just up the hill in H'ville.

Anytime you have a refrigeration problem with a 30gt, checkout the sensors first. Good luck.