Thread: Night setback

I have always heard different opinions on turning the stat down to lower temp during the night wether it actually saves fuel or not. i have had other tecks say that it takes more fuel to bring it back up to temp and that its better to keep the heat on one temp. what do you think ?

Honeywell claims as much as 10% savings.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

There is no doubt that it will save fuel, and therefore money; As long as it is not a heat pump. By setting the temp back you reduce the temperature difference between your home and the outdoors. In turn there is less heat demand which causes the furance to operate less.

the argument is that when the temp is turned back to higher temp it will us more fuel to bring temp back up than was saved during set back . what do you think ?

I like to sleep where it is cool so i turn my stat down to 60 at night. I cant help but think it saves fuel.

It does take more fuel to bring it back up to temp. Thats 1/2 the cycle.It takes no fuel to lower the temp.That equals the two running times out.The savings is ,it takes less fuel to keep a home at 60 than at 70.Do this when your not there or when you sleep.
    never say never

the whole using more fuel thing is false. The system is just as eff. recovering as it is mantaining.

It will save fuel to set it back.

Not true.

I have and use my set back stat for both heat, and cooling.

Doesn't save me as much in cooling, but saves me a whole lot in heat.

But I don't count, cause I'm gone for 14 hours a day on average, so my day time setback period is long, but my night setback is only 6 hours.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by peytonc2682
    the whole using more fuel thing is false. The system is just as eff. recovering as it is mantaining.

It will save fuel to set it back.
    It's actually more efficient while recovering, because it gets to run steadily for a long period. It gets to avoid the inefficiency of cycling on and off that is inevitable while maintaining.

Normally, a set-back of 3 or 4 degrees or more if desired during the bed time hours will save fuel.Also setting the T stat back a few degrees will save while 'away' at work,etc.
    As to how much it will save will depend on your present systems efficiency, tightness of the home, R value insulation,amount of setback etc.

The best and sure way to check this out, if you have a day or two of nothing to do, try keeping an 24 hour record of the burners' ON time without any setback. Then, with the temperature outside range similar, keep a 24 hour record of the burners' ON time with a setback.
    If the burners on time with a setback is..... lets say 14 minutes less a day, that adds up to be a savings total of approx ...(14 x 30 days =420 mins. = 7 hours of burner run time LESS, each month.
    And also, with a setback the number of 'start-up' cycles per day will be less , providing more $$ savings due to less fan(Electricity) on time. And with less cycles per month your equipment will last somewhat longer too.