Hurricane AC Units
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    just curious, when ac/heat units (insde and out) get submerged like in new orleans are they totally ruined or can they be dried out and made to work again?

gas furnaces shot........a/c units maybe repaired new boards and relays and such

I would replace motor/contactor and any relays.
    ductwork if sub-merged and thermostat with air handler if water or mold present.

It is possible to repair the outside unit of the air conditioner, they could work for two days, two months or two years.

I salvaged my outdoor air conditioning unit, it has been working a year so far.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

If they can make a submerged car work again so can an A/C,furnace or whatever once it's dried out . Many of today's electronic gadgets can work again if submerged and then dried out...as long as it's thoroughly dry.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

I say fire the old a/c systems back up, if they go out there is no loss. On the other hand, I am not sure I would want to use a furnance that had been under water.

[Edited by peytonc2682 on 10-18-2005 at 05:48 PM]

One thing to think about is how old the unit is. Anything over 15 years, I wouldn't waste my time on.

We are not talking just submerged but submerged in raw sewage, chemicals you name it. The outdoor unit could be saved, toss the indoor unit along with ducting.

[Edited by millerman on 10-18-2005 at 06:01 PM]
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

If you are insured get a new one, if it is going to be a while before you can replace, repair now, replace whenever you can.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    From the "no name" or "storm of the century"of March 1993 ,FEMA paid for new syatems,those that kept the old one ,had it fail in the next 3 years,as far as we could tell.

Hard to get all the salt water out of coils,etc..

If you live in an area that is prone to salt water flooding, odds are it is a corrsoive environment in the first place.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Ours isn't as we are on the central west coast of Florida,the Gulf doesn't have the surf and salt spray of the Atlantic,or SW Florida beaches.

No surf here either, just can't get more than 2.5 miles inland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast