Looks like I'll most likely go with the following basic configuration:
    80% AFUE standard 90000 btu gas furnace and a 10 SEER 3ton outdoor unit

the 90%AFUE and 13SEER is still in the running

I was wondering if the board had any opinions on some of the lower end brands and if any of them are a complete No/No

2 of the brands being recommended to me in the low are
    Payne and Ducane. Which is better?
    Any thoughts on those and other "basic" brands.

thanks in advance

I think Payne is a good choice. I'm not a fan of DuCane at all but if installed right it can do the job just fine. I'd be getting a heat load calc done. If you need 3 tons, most of the time you dont need 90 thou BTU. The heat load calc will tell you if you do or not.

The furnace I have the biggest problem with is Rheems builders grade thats called Weatherking. Its a good furnace but they leave the bottom out of it. I always wandered why they did this. Its fine if your using it in a horizontal position. If your standing it up in a attic though, you have to seal it off. For that reason I stay away from those furnaces.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

You will find that here it is the installation is the key to what makes a good furnace, not the brand.

Of the lower end brands, the one I'd want would be a WeatherKing. Well built outdoor unit, furnaces are the same as the lower line Rheem.

Otherwise, whatever. Not fired up about Ducane or Payne. If I had to choose, Ducane. I trust ADP coils further than Carrier coils.

Key is best install. Often dealers selling low end equipment may be the ones that can't get the better stuff for whatever reason. Not always before someone jumps my case, but often.

No brand bashing please, forum rules.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'd say almost always,in our area.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Of the lower end brands, the one I'd want would be a WeatherKing. Well built outdoor unit, furnaces are the same as the lower line Rheem.

Otherwise, whatever. Not fired up about Ducane or Payne. If I had to choose, Ducane. I trust ADP coils further than Carrier coils.

Key is best install. Often dealers selling low end equipment may be the ones that can't get the better stuff for whatever reason. Not always before someone jumps my case, but often.
    Baldy, i can't agree with your asessement of rheem vs weather king.

The only diff is Rheem has Spark and a nicer paint job.

So tell me why Rheem is better. I use weatherking once for a land lord job just because i was betterpriced.

You get none of the programs you get with Rheem but I think that is about it.

i haven't put in a WeatherKing in a long time but i do believe the gas valve and circuit board differ from the Rheem stuff. Oh.... Great Bald One???
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Originally posted by curry
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie

Baldy, i can't agree with your asessement of rheem vs weather king.

The only diff is Rheem has Spark and a nicer paint job.

So tell me why Rheem is better. I use weatherking once for a land lord job just because i was betterpriced.

You get none of the programs you get with Rheem but I think that is about it.
    Sounds like your agreeing with what he is saying. The Rheem 80% furnaces have hot surface ignitors not spark ignitors. I thought the spark ignitors were only on the higher end ones like the 90s. I just hate that they dont have the bottom in the furnace like the others.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

i know the RGPP and RGPN 80's are spark.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Rheem has the premium lines with spark and the J models with hot surface. The Kings are like the J models. Besides the spark, the better boards have dedicated low speed fan tap, dedicated tap to put heat & cool on the same speed - handy if you properly set blower speeds, and they have hum terminals. I don't think the J boards have twinning either for what that's worth. The better line also have insulated blower compartments which hold down the blower noise a bit and also have a 4 speed blower motor vs 3 speed so more flexibility in setting the the right CFM. Again, important if you measure static and set appropriately. But for the buck, the WeatherKings are a good value. Reliable and you aren't paying for the programs that Rheem/Ruud dealers get.

And yes, it is a pain to build a bottom. But I guess since Rheem does a lot in the southern states where they are horizontal or sit on a return box in a closet, they feel it is easy to add vs the cost of putting one in just to take out. The story I got anyway.