Thread: Any of you install these?

Post Likes

I'm hoping Travis from MES has one to my bid. I need one for the wife.

Post Likes
    YES i have

Post Likes
    no such thing. a thermostat is a thermostat is a thermostat...

Post Likes
    shhh...

Post Likes
    Just wrapped up a bid for a church and couldn't figure where the 'other' T-stat went to. "Oh, yeah, we need a new one there, also that matches the one you're replacing up front" 'What's it go to?' "That's for some of the congregation women to play with, it just hangs there. Don't tell nobody, OK?" 'Well, this one other will need to have batteries replaced once in a while or they'll catch on'. "No problem, just so it looks real".

Seriously, it's done more often than you think.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Post Likes
    Quite a few in light commercial applications.

Post Likes
    You have no idea.........
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Post Likes
    Oh my....I went with one of our other techs to a stat problem about two years ago. He was having problems with the temperature in the space. He had already changed the stat and asked me to take a look at it. When we went in, we walked right by the stat that controlled the unit, at least that was what I was thinking. He carried me over to the stat he had changed and told me what he had done. I mentioned to him that I thought the stat was over in another room and he said, well, this one is wired in to something. We went and got a ladder and raised the ceiling tile to follow the wire and found it tied around a roof beam going to nothing. The batteries were all that were keeping it going. I still aggravate him about that one from time to time. ;-)

Bobby

Post Likes

Talking

I must admit, it never dawned on me that this was actually done. At least not to the point of having HVAC contractors actually install a placebo! I learn something every day!

Post Likes
    Much as I hate to admit I got suckered that way and I am a contractor.

I rented my first small office that had it's own s'tat.

i was suspicious cause the space was so small there was no way it would have it'sown RTU.

I was new then and didn't commercial at the time.

But every night when the dentist went home my office got cold.

Finally I traced the s'tat wire that went no where.

I also broke the lease as he had lied and wrote in lease we had our own heat source.

The dentist had sub-divided his office and my little space still on his RTU was what was left and he turned down the heat when he left at night and we were still there.

Post Likes
    CURRY.... you dont work dentist hours?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by edrock
    CURRY.... you dont work dentist hours?
    SSSSHHHHH...don't squeal! My wife thinks I'm with my girl friend but I'm actually a male dancer.

Post Likes
    Got to share this one too. Back when Carrier's Comfort two zone system would only do four zones, we had a job that needed 5 zones and our estimator ordered the Carrier system. At that time we hadn't done many of them and it did take some time to figure out there was no way to make it do 5 zones, so we put a damper in the 5th zone and wired in the enabler to control zones 4 and 5 off the zone 4 sensor. All this was okayed by the General Contractor. He also wanted us to put a dummy zone sensor in the 5th office and we did so. I glued it to the wall with two wires connected to it thinking no one would ever pull it off because of the risk of damaging the wall. Well, about 3 years later I get a call to that building and the lady in that last office was hopping mad. Seems they had been rearranging the office furniture and had accidently knocked the sensor off of the wall with a large file cabinet and we were busted. I told her to call the General Contractor because I was just following orders and never heard anything else about it. The funny thing about it was that we never got any complaints at all about it as long as they didn't know.

Bobby

Post Likes
    Put one in many years ago at the customers request...their mother with Alzheimers lived with them and if she was cold, she cranked it up and they came home to a 85 degree house all the time...I deal with lots of customers that think a thermostat is a cold or heat control and the lower or the higher you crank it, the faster it will get to a temp...all you can do is try to educate them...p.s....it still doesn't work...they all have Alzheimers symptoms

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in