Hello,

A few questions ton TEMPSTAR Furnaces that hope someone can help.
    * Two-story House built: 1991
    * 1st flr: 1600 SF
    * 2nd flr: 1000 SF
    * Full basement: 1200 SF
    * TEMPSTAR Gas Furnaces: NUGI100DH03; L904166400
    (NOT high-efficiency type; these are just the conventional gas furnaces; Typical installation: Furnace "A" supplies 1st flr and bsmt; Furnace "B" supplies 2nd flr)
    * Well-maintained with yearly maintenance etc. Currently working well with no problems.
    * Furnaces are not "abused", i.e., used only when needed and temp set at 68F.

---------------------------------
    QUESTIONS on TEMPSTAR furnaces:

- Are they as good as Carrier, Lennox etc.?

- With a well-maintained furnace, how long do they last?

- I have CO detector on both 1st and 2nd floors just in case (I am just "paranoid" about CO poisoning), but the basic question is: "How long do heat exchangers last before cracking?"

- I am about to install Aprilaire 550 Humifiers but wonder if the furnaces do not last much longer then I would delay the Humidifiers installation until the new furnaces are in......but this goes back to the question above: "can I get another 5-6 years out of these 14-year-old furnaces?", if so then I will install the Humidifiers.

- From speaking to TEMPSTAR Co., the Blower Motor bearing is grease-packed from factory and lubed for life, so I guess I do not have to repack the bearing after 14 years. Is this correct?

- Final question: does TEMPSTAR have an electrical terminal labeled "HUM" for the humidifier electrical connection or I have to use the A50 relay (I have heard all kinds of bad stories about A50 relays so I will try to avoid A50 relay)?

??? ANY other help hints/tips will be appreciated.

----------------------------
    Thanks a million guys!!!

cn
    Omaha NE

Originally posted by cn
    * Two-story House built: 1991
    * 1st flr: 1600 SF
    * 2nd flr: 1000 SF
    * Full basement: 1200 SF

How can you have a full basement when it’s 1200 SF and the first floor is 1600 SF?

* TEMPSTAR Gas Furnaces: NUGI100DH03; L904166400
    (NOT high-efficiency type; these are just the conventional gas furnaces; Typical installation: Furnace "A" supplies 1st flr and bsmt; Furnace "B" supplies 2nd flr)

Where are you that you need a 100K for the second floor?

* Well-maintained with yearly maintenance etc. Currently working well with no problems.
    * Furnaces are not "abused", i.e., used only when needed and temp set at 68F.

Can still be abused if not running with-in specifications.

---------------------------------
    QUESTIONS on TEMPSTAR furnaces:

- Are they as good as Carrier, Lennox etc.?

If properly sized, installed, and set-up correctly, YES.

- With a well-maintained furnace, how long do they last?

Life depends on to many factors.

- I have CO detector on both 1st and 2nd floors just in case (I am just "paranoid" about CO poisoning), but the basic question is: "How long do heat exchangers last before cracking?"

Here again, it depends on many factors such as installation and set-up.

- I am about to install Aprilaire 550 Humifiers but wonder if the furnaces do not last much longer then I would delay the Humidifiers installation until the new furnaces are in......but this goes back to the question above: "can I get another 5-6 years out of these 14-year-old furnaces?", if so then I will install the Humidifiers.

- From speaking to TEMPSTAR Co., the Blower Motor bearing is grease-packed from factory and lubed for life, so I guess I do not have to repack the bearing after 14 years. Is this correct?

Some are sealed, some are not…

- Final question: does TEMPSTAR have an electrical terminal labeled "HUM" for the humidifier electrical connection or I have to use the A50 relay (I have heard all kinds of bad stories about A50 relays so I will try to avoid A50 relay)?

Sorry, this is why I posted the balloons.

??? ANY other help hints/tips will be appreciated.

----------------------------
    Thanks a million guys!!!

cn
    Omaha NE
    Have a company out and look over your current system. You may find out that you would be better to replace the units now, due to the raising fuel costs.

If you do replace them, make sure they properly size the new units!
    Welcome to HVAC TALK and we’re glad to have you.

(we can't help DIY, due to site rules )

I am not the original owner

Jultzya,

I am not the original owner of the house. The P.O. built the house in 1991.
    I just happened to buy it recently.

This is why the 2 Tempstar furnaces are the same in size.

cn
    Omaha NE

I mainly wanted you to know that it's likely oversized and to have a load calc performed if you have them replaced.