familiar with automotive paint booths?

Is anyone experienced with automotive paint booth pressure balancing? I have an un usual problem that goes against everything my company owner and I know! Serious stumper!

Hi,

I am with Garmat USA, we manufacture paint booths. What is the issue? What type of booth - downdraft, semi-down, cross draft, size and brand.

I might be able to get some info from our service tech.

Thread has been relocated to the correct section of the site, "General"

Carry on

Quote Originally Posted by Garmat View Post
    Hi,

I am with Garmat USA, we manufacture paint booths. What is the issue? What type of booth - downdraft, semi-down, cross draft, size and brand.

I might be able to get some info from our service tech.
    Do you guys have any on-line info on the burners/furnaces that heat the booths?
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Hi Bizzaro,

I also work for a paint booth manufacturer, Global Finishing Solutions. We may be able to help you with your pressure balancing issues as well. Can you explain the issue?

Melissa Fochs
    Global Finishing Solutions

I will get some more detailed measurements of the ductwork sizes and changes in dimensions they make on the exhaust side and reply to this in greater detail today later. I am having trouble with the fact that when I increase the airflow through the booth we get more overspray problems as we progress to a point that we should be at. I am running about 7500cfm through the booth now which is near double what we started with, but the overspray increased as we increased flow? We opened the intake damper to allow more airflow and increased the motor pulley size to compensate on the exhaust side but increased the problem with every step. I will follow up with make/model etc. today. The booth is a ceiling plenum intake and side drafts for exhaust at the floor along each side of the booth that duct up the sides and into one exhaust duct. The booth is heated by a Bonanza MUAU with a squirrel cage type intake blower and a prop blade barrel fan on the exhaust side
    Last edited by bizzaro; 07-07-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: more information added

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Do you guys have any on-line info on the burners/furnaces that heat the booths?
    We use a High Efficiency (98%) Aluminum/Stainless Steel Direct Fired Burner. Typically they are sized from 840,000 to 2.5M BTU, this depends on the size of the booth. I can put you in touch with a distributor if you need to purchase one.

Debbie Teter
    Marketing Director
    Garmat USA
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 07-08-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Removed links and email addresses

Familiar with automotive paint booths?

Quote Originally Posted by bizzaro View Post
    I will get some more detailed measurements of the ductwork sizes and changes in dimensions they make on the exhaust side and reply to this in greater detail today later. I am having trouble with the fact that when I increase the airflow through the booth we get more overspray problems as we progress to a point that we should be at. I am running about 7500cfm through the booth now which is near double what we started with, but the overspray increased as we increased flow? We opened the intake damper to allow more airflow and increased the motor pulley size to compensate on the exhaust side but increased the problem with every step. I will follow up with make/model etc. today. The booth is a ceiling plenum intake and side drafts for exhaust at the floor along each side of the booth that duct up the sides and into one exhaust duct. The booth is heated by a Bonanza MUAU with a squirrel cage type intake blower and a prop blade barrel fan on the exhaust side
    I spoke with Altra Products the Garmat distributor in Wayland, Michigan, He thinks you might have run the intake up higher than the exhaust can handle and also possibly spinning the exhaust to fan to fast so that it looses traction and cavitates. He said it would be helpful to know motor, duct, and fan sizes as well. That would make it easier to diagnose.

Hope this helps,
    Debbie Teter
    Garmat USA
    Link Removed
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 07-08-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Link Removed, please read the sites rules in regards to advertising..

As you increase the air flow across the surface to be painted, it becomes more laminar (I think that's the term) and prevents the paint from getting to the surface. This also isolates the surface from the air flow when in bake mode, that's why manufacturers add devices to oscillate the flow, (though you can't do this while painting, cause it will move the paint around).
    Klaus Koenig
    Walbridge FM

Quote Originally Posted by Garmat View Post
    We use a High Efficiency (98%) Aluminum/Stainless Steel Direct Fired Burner. Typically they are sized from 840,000 to 2.5M BTU, this depends on the size of the booth. I can put you in touch with a distributor if you need to purchase one.

Debbie Teter
    Marketing Director
    Garmat USA
    thanx, I don't want to buy one, I want to be able to service them.

as I understand it there is NO ONE in Western NY servicing these unit.
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Definetly sounds like too high airflow.What is the FPM spec you need to obtain ?
    Is this a manual booth.AKA human operator or is it robotic ?
    We try to maintain 100 fpm across the exhaust face in manual booths.I think about 50 is the requirement for robotic.These are minimum OSHA specs I believe.Have dealt with Global Finishing they know these things well.