Freon Leak, Proper Coil Replacement?

2 year old unit stopped cooling, diagnosis was a small leak in the coil which ran up from the unit in my garage through the attic and back down the outer wall to the outside unit.

The repair consisted of not replacing the old coil line that went up through my attic but running a new one down along the back of my garage and drilling a new hole through the side of my house. The old coil line was left throughout and cut off on the outside, just hanging there. Is this the norm for replacing a leaking coil? At the very least, the new hole was not sealed (I can see light from the inside of my garage) and this seems improper. But what about the new extra coil line, new unsealed hole in the side of my house and leaving the old coil line? Couldn't the existing line have been repaired and/or replaced. It seems sloppy to me but I'm just a new home owner; any input? Thanks in advance.

What you are talking about is the line set. How it is done depends on how much you want to spend. To replace the old line you would have to cut away the wall interior and usually parts of the ceiling to rout the new line. These pipes do not bend easily so a lot of finesse is required to feed it through and have the proper bend without kinks.

Adding a new line and leaving the old is just fine if you don't want to spend the extra cash to do it the other way. He should have sealed the new hole and cut away the old and sealed it as well.

We don't know why or where the old line was leaking. Lines can be repaired and is usually the techs first option considering the aggravation of running a new line and the work it takes to do it. It is usually easier to fix the leak even if you have to replace a short piece.

Why did he say he couldn't fix the leak? Where in the line was it leaking? Was it even in the line, did he find the leak or guess that is where the leak was?

Thanks for the reply.

They were out several times but I had a family member out to let them in and work. I believe they isolated the leak to a portion of the line in the attic. If so, running a new line makes sense (that coupled with insurance was covering and approving all the repairs so they would likely go with the less expensive route). I'll have them out again to seal the hole and get rid of the old pipe and I'll ask then. Thanks again!