Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: goodman ?

well mrbillpro, im not sure if that is what i want. but if you think it helps or not,,,w/e

Red face

Originally posted by gardenelf
    ugly comment chillbilly...thought ya'll here like to help.

Ugly? Buddy, you haven't seen ugly yet.
    I deal with people on a perpetual basis that want something for nothing. We aren't here to help people commit homicide to their equipment or it's components.
    We are here to give advice based on sound judgement and experience. This is not a 'paint by number' site where pros give you sequential numbers so that you may save a buck while endangering yourself, your friends, family and structure.
    So, your definition of "help" is quite a bit different from mine.

Whew.I feel better now.

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Man change out the dang fan sequencer and your done! is that what you want? this has been a problem with Goodmans for 15 years now can I go back to work?
    Fan sequencers that were an issue on Goodman air handlers were ones that have been used by most manufacturers for over 20 years. There was only about a year and a half of equipment manufactured that had the problematic fan sequencers in them.

The sequencer issue was a vendor issue. Therm-O-Disc, a very reputable control company, stood behind their problematic sequencers as did Goodman.

Unfortunately, now, everytime there is a fan related issue, the sequencer is blamed. This not only creates a lot of perfectly good sequencers to be trashed but it causes the real problem to be overlooked.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

There LAST!

choose goodman over bryant??? YIPE!!! not meeeeee. in case ya haven't noticed the guys that like goodman seem to be mostly what they sell.
    goodman has made some improvements, give us about another 2 years and we'll all know if they worked.
    i really hate puttin parts on a 2 week old furnace. I suppose it could happen with other brands too.
    I hope they keep making improvements I really do. In my opinion they still have a little way to go yet.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq

The sequencer issue was a vendor issue. Therm-O-Disc, a very reputable control company, stood behind their problematic sequencers as did Goodman.
    Unfortunately, now, everytime there is a fan related issue, the sequencer is blamed. This not only creates a lot of perfectly good sequencers to be trashed but it causes the real problem to be overlooked. [/B]
    And you may very well be correct but I did change out two of them this past summer on less than 5 year old air handlers and both were the A-60 version maybe just a coinsendence heck I don't know but I do always carry a few new ones just in case.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq

Unfortunately, now, everytime there is a fan related issue, the sequencer is blamed. This not only creates a lot of perfectly good sequencers to be trashed but it causes the real problem to be overlooked.
    And you may very well be correct but I did change out two of them this past summer on less than 5 year old air handlers and both were the A-60 version maybe just a coinsendence heck I don't know but I do always carry a few new ones just in case. [/B]
    Don't get me wrong, I suspect every one I see nowadays myself. The end of the "A" series and the beginning of the "AR" series is when the bad Therm-O-Disc sequencer/relays showed up.

Even back when Goodman units had paint that peeled from the outdoor units and insulation sticking out of the flimsy air handler panels, I did not have any more problems with them then I had with other brands I was then installing.

So, it's back to the application/installation issue again. Having insp[ected nothing but Goodman products day in and day out for five years, I can absolutely tell you that 99% of the problems were due to oversizing, sloppy installs and poor maintenance.

those relays were not only an issue with goodman, they went bad and still do in the aspen air handlers that some of the builders use. I usually pull them out and put in a honeywell relay...

Talking

I thought like so many others reading and responding to this thread that it has to be a sequencer. I then stopped and remembered the words taught to me by the greatest service guy I know, "leave no stone unturned". He taught me that no matter what I thought the problem was keep looking to determine that I had not missed any other or underlying preoblems. So I have applied that thought here and have not only come up with a sight unseen diagnosis of a bad sequencer but also, and I have to give credit to Chillbilly
    and Robotec for this inspiration, bad paint. Yes, that's right, my insight was like a bolt from the blue. It practiclly blasted me from my chair! I dropped my coke on the floor, which immediatly raised my wifes hackles about spilling soda on the floor. Damn, back down to Home Depot for another gallon of paint and over to the dress shop for another pretty dress. ( Those that read one of my previous posts will understand) It's the paint, Elroy, the paint. It;s the wrong color. Get a nice shade of green to repaint the air handler. A nice shade of umm.. o..ahhh...ahhh... ummm. Oh what the heck a darn nice shade of Trane green will definitly fix your problem in no time at all. Yes sir fix it up nicely.

Thanks for the break in the seriousness Wally

Oh, about those Aspen air handlers...they were actually Goodman "A" series air handlers....whooooopsy.

But still, there were many other brands that have used that stack sequencer over the years, so it was not a Goodman issue.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234