Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: goodman ?

Question

it seems there are a lot of posts saying how goodman is #1 and is a great product.. What is the general concensus of goodman now a days ? what do you all think ?

I think all equipment is a POS, till it's sized, installed and set-up properly.

Till then, they're ALL just a pretty little BOX!

I don't know where you got that information being #1. You meant being last?

Checkout Consumer Report's Feb 05' Goodman was rated the worst for having more repair problems.

I almost jumped in getting a Goodman furnace. But...changed my mind now. Looking at perhaps getting a Bryant instead.

I'd rather have a Goodman than a Bryant!

If you want the general concensus on Goodman, you might wanna do a search on this site about it. This subject is beat to death more than any other subject around here. LOL

& My opinion: I think they make a good product, I would just as soon have a goodman as a bryant.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Originally posted by heatmehot
    I don't know where you got that information being #1. You meant being last?

Checkout Consumer Report's Feb 05' Goodman was rated the worst for having more repair problems.

I almost jumped in getting a Goodman furnace. But...changed my mind now. Looking at perhaps getting a Bryant instead.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=86912

Maybe you should tell Dave that you are simply a homeowner who has based his information on nothing more than a useless poll.

I too would choose Goodman over Bryant!

Originally posted by jultzya

This is about as accurate as we are going to get.

Goodman has never been claimed to be number 1 in anything, but does have the highest sales for singularly branded equipment.

As has been stated, the Consumer Reports survey is useless crap. For another consumer advocate "opinion" you can look at Consumer's Digest that rates the Goodman CLQ condenser the "Best Buy". But, these are only opinions of consumer organizations and have not one thing to do with the actual equipment quality whatsoever.

Let's put it this way; If I install any comparable brand of equipment, it will operate its best and be a good system to its specifications.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

9 years ago I installed a Janitrol (Goodman) RTU gas pack on the roof of my home, cost and time were a big factor for me as I was still a tech at the time and it was December 20th. The installation and service of the unit was and still is the best to this day not one failure.
    I will be installing a duel fuel packaged unit which will be a Carrier in the near future simply because of energy cost's.
    The Goodman will work fine so long as load calc, install and service are all proper they don't however, offer much in the way of bells and whistles. Good luck.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Confused Goodman Problems

first of all i would like to say that i am a first-time poster on this forum. I am looking for some help though. I have a Janitrol Goodman unit in my home. I moved in when the unit was about 5-6 years old. I have been here for 3 years in november. I am more of the do-it myself kind of guy so any knowledge on this will be greatly appreciated. Here is the deal:

this is my dads house. he had the unit installed roughly 9-10 years ago. when i moved in 3 years ago it gave us problems. the a/c wouldnt run all the time or the unit outside would kick on and you can hear the airhandler try to start the cycle, but it wouldnt kick on inside the house. i would have turn the unit off at the thermostat and wait for a little while. if i would leave the thermostat on in the morning when i left for work it would usually mess up during the day. by the time i got home there would be 1/2" of frost on the line outside and the unit inside would be set around 72-74 but the temp inside the house was up around 90-91. my wifes cousin who is a hvac tech in San Antonio diagnosed it over the phone as being the thermostat. So i changed it. that didnt work. It work for a few days, but then screwed up again...going back to its old ways. I called my brother in law who had just started working for an a/c company locally. he came out and took a look at it. he told his boss what my unit was doing and he said it was the thermostat. i had already changed it, but i thought hey, maybe i got a bad one. well the second one didnt work either. then he suggested we change the motor. that worked for about 3 weeks, but now it is back to its old ways once again. needless to say im on my 3 thermostat, i have changed the motor and the unit outside will still kick on but the airhandler will not.

i must clarify though, during the day, the a/c will cool, but basically, i cant leave it unsupervised during the day. if i do, it will get stuck, the outdoor unit will continue to run and the line will freeze up. i live in south texas. if your are from here, you know how hot it has been the last few weeks. we have had 100+ temps and that is not a fun type of room to come home to after you have spent your day outdoors anyway.

like i said, please help. i have a major situation here. thanks

You really need to get someone out there to fix it. Its not something that your gonna be able to fix yourself. Even if you are a do it yourself kinda guy.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Skipper,

Listen to hvachero..
    Any competent hvac tech should be able to fix that unit if they are familiar with goodman and intermitant fan problems of their airhandlers.. I take it that the indoor unit is an electric airhandler..

I think I may know the problem but this is not a diy site and the people who have tried to help you are not competant enough for me to feel comfortable with advising you how to check your unit..

Good luck
    J

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

I'd rather have a Goodman than a Bryant!

So is it the Brand or the install???LOL

Confused gooman?

well i do appreciate the comments and the quick response from Hero and Response. I have to agree with Response though, my brother-in-law isnt competent. I only say that because he had only been in the HVAC for about 1-1/2 months when i had him take a look at it. I trusted his judgement in asking his boss though. But still like i said, that didnt even work. But my wifes cousin has been a tech in San Antonio for about 13 years, from what i understand its all he has ever done. I trust him fully....but the excuse for that one is that he diagnosed it over the phone. I would like him to get a hands on look at the unit. I thought for a while that it might have had something to do with the way we wired up the new blower motor, but i figured that couldnt be it cuz we followed the diagram and rechecked it like 5 times before we installed.

I defenitely do not want to call the installer back. he is not a competent person, and plus he doesnt return my calls.

in regards to the term "DIY", what does that stand for?

and Response, yes, the air handler is an electric unit.

the frost is kickin my butt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast