Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question

We had bids from three contractor representatives for an 80% furnace (2-stage, variable speed)and a heat pump. We were most impressed with the rep who offers EverRest (13 SEER heat pump), a marketing line of Amana that is supposed to be almost identical to Amana ("For $100 more it can say 'Amana' on it.") I have seen no information on EverRest other than their brochure, and website which has good information on each product. 1. Can you tell me your opinion or experience with this brand? (The rep says they've had less problems this year with EverRest than with Lennox, which they also sell.)
    2. This is the only representative who recommended a 100,000 BTU furnace from his load calculation (the same as our 45+ year-old Lenox furnace). Three others came up with 80,000 BTU. He and one other rep figured a 3-ton heat pump (same as our old Lenox A/C that bit the dust), but two reps said we need only a 2 1/2-ton. House is a 1550 sq. ft. split foyer with no insulation in exterior walls, in the central Mid-West (Nebraska). This company guarantees a Temperature Selection in extreme heat and cold, as well as good warrantees. I've seen the advice here that installation is more important than equipment.
    Would appreciate any feedback on these two questions.

[Edited by jnths on 10-18-2005 at 12:19 AM]

Everyone has their own opinion on brands. Everest is Goodman stuff from what I hear, not Amana, though they are related. Amana is the premium line.

Hard to say on sizing without running a load calc. 100K for 1550 sq ft seems excessive, even with weak wall insulation. In today's furnaces, it takes more airflow to keep a big furnace from overheating, even if you had a 100K before. I wonder if your house has enough duct system. When 1 wants a certain size and 3 others want another, makes me wonder. Same with HP sizing. In HVAC, bigger is not better for comfort or efficiency.

EverRest is Goodman not Amana, Youve been BS'd

I would wonder if the guy that came up with the 100,000 btu furnace required actually did one; or did he just base the size on your existing furnace.

Tell him that you are considering going with his company but have concerns with his load calcs. Ask him if he could sit down with you and go over his calculations. Chances are he will not have anything on paper.

I don't like oversized furnaces. Most existing furnaces are oversized.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by jnths View Post
    We had bids from three contractor representatives for an 80% furnace (2-stage, variable speed)and a heat pump. We were most impressed with the rep who offers EverRest (13 SEER heat pump), a marketing line of Amana that is supposed to be almost identical to Amana ("For $100 more it can say 'Amana' on it.") I have seen no information on EverRest other than their brochure, and website which has good information on each product. 1. Can you tell me your opinion or experience with this brand? (The rep says they've had less problems this year with EverRest than with Lennox, which they also sell.)
    2. This is the only representative who recommended a 100,000 BTU furnace from his load calculation (the same as our 45+ year-old Lenox furnace). Three others came up with 80,000 BTU. He and one other rep figured a 3-ton heat pump (same as our old Lenox A/C that bit the dust), but two reps said we need only a 2 1/2-ton. House is a 1550 sq. ft. split foyer with no insulation in exterior walls, in the central Mid-West (Nebraska). This company guarantees a Temperature Selection in extreme heat and cold, as well as good warrantees. I've seen the advice here that installation is more important than equipment.
    Would appreciate any feedback on these two questions.

[Edited by jnths on 10-18-2005 at 12:19 AM]
    Everrest is a high end product manufactured by Goodman. I have been a Trane dealer for over 20 years. I started selling the Everrest brand last year and I can tell you there is nothing better. We have no call backs and the equipment works perfectly. It is very common to down size the equipment when purchasing newer higher efficiency equipment especially if your contractor seals up the leaky duct work. Go with the Everrest dealer. You can't beat the warranties or Guaranties.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I don't like oversized furnaces. Most existing furnaces are oversized.

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by tomkohberger View Post
    Everrest is a high end product manufactured by Goodman. I have been a Trane dealer for over 20 years. I started selling the Everrest brand last year and I can tell you there is nothing better. We have no call backs and the equipment works perfectly. It is very common to down size the equipment when purchasing newer higher efficiency equipment especially if your contractor seals up the leaky duct work. Go with the Everrest dealer. You can't beat the warranties or Guaranties.
    Everest is not a high end Goodman. Everest "is" Goodman. The name Everest is a brand name that is given to Independant Goodman distributors to sell.

Amana Distinctions is also Goodman with a different label. Home Depot used to have Goodman equipment labeled Everstar. A few years earlier the Sears Kenmore brand was Goodman as well.

Everrest

The warranty is what makes it their high end retrofit product. Yes it is Goodman and yes it is also Amana. We all Know this. The bottom line is that ALL manufactures are using the same compressors the same fan motors and basically all the same parts. Goodman however does have a better heat exchanger than everyone else and the warranty is lifetime. So why would anyone pay more money for a Brand name when the its all the same stuff and Goodman/Amama has the best warranty?

More then 50 BTU's per sq ft for heating. Close the door!

Of course he can give you a guaranty on temp control in extreme weather, he's over sizing the equipment.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Confused Nebraska design temp << 0'F

Quote Originally Posted by jnths View Post
    We had bids from three contractor representatives for an 80% furnace (2-stage, variable speed)and a heat pump.

This is the only representative who recommended a 100,000 BTU furnace from his load calculation (the same as our 45+ year-old Lenox furnace). Three others came up with 80,000 BTU.

House is a 1550 sq. ft. split foyer with no insulation in exterior walls, in the central Mid-West (Nebraska).

... any feedback on these two questions. [Edited by jnths on 10-18-2005 at 12:19 AM]
    I would say that temperature selection should be about 51'F for a house in Nebraska without wall insulation.

Is there any insulation in the floor or ceiling?

I wonder how this 2 + year old inquiry gets resurrected?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by tomkohberger View Post
    The warranty is what makes it their high end retrofit product. Yes it is Goodman and yes it is also Amana. We all Know this. The bottom line is that ALL manufactures are using the same compressors the same fan motors and basically all the same parts. Goodman however does have a better heat exchanger than everyone else and the warranty is lifetime. So why would anyone pay more money for a Brand name when the its all the same stuff and Goodman/Amama has the best warranty?
    Again, you are wrong. Everest is just Goodman...period. It is not Amana. Amana is a different brand manufactured by Goodman Manufacturing and is different from Goodman brand equipment.

The Everest warranties are the same as Goodman warranties because; REPEAT AFTER ME!!! Everest is Goodman.

You are correct that all Goodman and Amana furnaces have lifetime warranties on the heat exchangers. The Goodman furnace with it's aluminized steel heat exchanger also has a ten year unit replacement warranty for heat exchanger failure while the Amana brand with it's stainless steel heat exchanger has a lifetime unit replacement warranty if the heat exchanger fails.

Get your facts straight.

Again you are 100% wrong. I am an Everrest dealer in Georgia. When I purchase equipment from my dealership it is Amana equipment. It has an Amana model number such as the 80% variable speed furnace which is the AMV7080. Please stop telling me I am wrong when you have no idea what your talking about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast