hello:
    as you may have seen by my posts...
    I'm faced with all these choices - now that I'm replacing the HVAC in my "fixer-upper"
    I plan to sell the house in a couple of years.

It seems to cost about $1000 more to go from 10 to 13 SEER
    and if I go with the lesser cost option... I'm wondering if the state of Delaware or New Castle County will cause problems when I get ready to sell the house assuming the buyers don't care.

also is 90% AFUE for gas furnaces expected to be part of the code everywhere in Delaware and the rest of MidAtlantic - since it seems like its part of the code in the colder parts of the NorthEast already.

also would it be a good idea to wait until next year to replace the A/C and do just the furnace now - in the hope that when 13 SEER becomes the standard that the supply and demand equation will be more favorable towards the price...
    i.e the lowest the line of most major companies will be selling these and therefore the competition among the various low end brands will be on price (at the 13 SEER level - rather than at the 10 SEER level) to target the "price sensitive" customer.

Thanks in advance yall!
    this is an awesome site...
    only wish I had found it sooner...

btw: any good referrals for installers in Delaware?

You may have to wait more than a year. The DOE law states that the manufacure of sub 13 seer units must end next year. You can still buy/install 10-12 seer units until suplies are exhausted. My guess is that manufacturers (especially those that cater to large contracting builders) are cranking out 10s like mad these days till the laws say otherwise. Besides you can look for rebates now from utilities and manufactures since 13 is still considered moderately efficient these days.

I dont think its gonna hurt you selling the house at all. I'd guess that over 90% of all houses have 10 seer equipment. I would however suggest replacing the whole system at once instead of waiting a year to do the a/c. I would think you'd get a better deal doing it this way than by doing it a piece at a time.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Local realitors may be better able to answer your question.

No problem with that

Finally a problem where a homeowner is as competent as the HVAC pro to answer<g>! I am firmly convinced that the SEER rating of your AC is going to rate approximately last place in the ranking of things a buyer might like or dislike about your house.

I think people generally love lower prices and are ho-hum about most features you don't see and touch everyday. And those who really care about HVAC might say your 13 SEER isn't good enough for their tastes, they really wanted that 19, or wanted a variable speed air handler, or whatever. In the best of cases you will pay retail price when you buy a new AC and the "resale" value of that AC will be a fraction of that when you sell.

Same is true of automobile options, for example leather upholstery probably costs $1000 when new but will elevate the used price by far less. You can look at Kelly Blue Book and prove this is true of cars. I suggest it is similar for AC in houses.

While I would perhaps buy the 19 SEER for my own house to live in, I would surely go cheap for a resale house.

Best of luck -- P.Student

People just look to see age and condition,if your selling in a few years 10 SEER would be fine.We do alot of work down there and the install is key for NEW CASTLE.A liner for water heater if 90% and liner for 80% furnaces. Everything must be brought up to code in home when they come out or they will fail you.Combustion air a must.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

would you give me your contact info?

ok... i'm not going with the T&M subcontract anymore

so if you are interested....

the config i want is:

80% furnace (90000 BTU) & 10 SEER outdoor (3 ton)
    pending a full load calc.

humidifier
    condensate pump

the access is very easy - just seems like a plain straightforward job.

Having a 90% furnace, and a 13 ser a/c may help sell a house quicker, but not really increase its value.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?