+ Reply to Thread

Thread: JCI NAE to Trane Intellapak LON Integration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

JCI NAE to Trane Intellapak LON Integration

We're looking at adding 4 more Intellapak RTU's with LON cards to the existing LON trunk on an NAE. Does anyone have any experience with this intergration? Can the points be auto discovered or do they have to be manually put in? Did the install go well or was it troublesome?
    Stupidity should hurt!

Post Likes
    In my opinion they are a real pain in the butt. First make sure you have the original LN-Builder database. Assuming JCI installed the first set. If you don't you will need to build one with all the new units, the old units and the NAE. Once they are commissioned in LN-Builder I'm not sure if you can auto discover the devices I'm pretty sure you can, but you can definitely auto discover the points.

That is the beginning of the problem. Unless Trane has changed their system when you auto discover the points you will have duplicates of most of the points and you will have some points that don't work at all. This is due to the way Trane does their LON systems. The problem with the NAE is that you cannot have 2 duplicate identifiers. So when you do the auto discover you will have to go through and change the identifiers of the duplicates. I usually just add a 1 to the end of the point. Then just go through and delete what isn't working.

Post Likes
    I have no idea what LN Builder is. We have a jci server workstation. I can see the the Lon trunk on the NAE. We're looking to add four additional RTUs to the same trunk. If all else fails. Can we create controllers and points manually.
    Stupidity should hurt!

Post Likes
    Since I know people find these posts while searching for info, I thought I would update this. I found a manual from JCI that I think clarifies everything I was looking for. Although I would still like to here from others who have completed this integration. I don't think I need LN-Builder on this site because I'll be working through the Workstation, and the Trane RTU's will be factory configured. I should be able to get the resource files from Trane since this integration is for them.

JCI LON Integration Manual
    Stupidity should hurt!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2003rkc View Post
    Since I know people find these posts while searching for info, I thought I would update this. I found a manual from JCI that I think clarifies everything I was looking for. Although I would still like to here from others who have completed this integration. I don't think I need LN-Builder on this site because I'll be working through the Workstation, and the Trane RTU's will be factory configured. I should be able to get the resource files from Trane since this integration is for them.

JCI LON Integration Manual
    You will need LN-Builder to put the Trane units on the same subsystem as the other units and the NAE. I have integrated these units to NAEs before and was unable to to it without LN-Builder or some other LNS Database tool. JCI Tech Support told me that LNS has to be used for the NAE to communicate with devices on the LON trunk. You will need the resource files for the NAE to be able to read values from the devices.

LN-Builder and the database should have been included with the original installation package.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDeal View Post
    You will need LN-Builder to put the Trane units on the same subsystem as the other units and the NAE. I have integrated these units to NAEs before and was unable to to it without LN-Builder or some other LNS Database tool. JCI Tech Support told me that LNS has to be used for the NAE to communicate with devices on the LON trunk. You will need the resource files for the NAE to be able to read values from the devices.

LN-Builder and the database should have been included with the original installation package.

In addition to the device specific resource files, the LONWORKS Integration object
    requires the STANDARD.TYP and STANDARD.FPT resource files, and a
    NVConfig.dat file. This NVConfig.dat file is created automatically, but you need
    to update it with the correct configuration data using a network configuration tool,
    such as LN Builder. See Defining an Engine on the LONWORKS Trunk in the
    Detailed Procedures section of this document.

This is from the integration document.

Post Likes
    I would have to think the duplicate points you see is specific to a NAE.

When i discover those points with a Jace or Summit they come in just fine.

Post Likes
    The points are duplicated on the LCI-I, half are for SCC and the other are for DAC, so which ever profile you have will determine which points will have valid data.
    They expose all of these points? How do they have enough room? Aren't most LON devices limited on the number of variables? (50ish?)

Can anyone post a screenshot of the duplicate's? I am curious. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ewang View Post
    They expose all of these points? How do they have enough room? Aren't most LON devices limited on the number of variables? (50ish?)
    I know the mp580 has over 600+ points. I never heard of a limit on variables.

Post Likes
    Hanging a Jace on the wall is our backup plan if this gets to complicated or painful.
    Stupidity should hurt!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2003rkc View Post
    Hanging a Jace on the wall is our backup plan if this gets to complicated or painful.
    It might get complicated if you are not able get a hold of LN-Builder or something similar. You would have to weigh cost ratios. It might be cheaper to get LN-Builder and do the integration directly. I don't deal much with JACEs, but I know that LN-Builder is around $500. Though Johnson should have given the database and software over during initial install. Unless it was done through a service contract.

Post Likes
    If you happen to have the Workbench Pro tool you could use that to commission the LON equipment, instead of using the LN builder. I don't know how the NAE gets setup, but the subnet and node of the Trane equipment I have set with the Tridium tools. I did find it a PIA to sort out which set of data (SCC or DAC) was the proper set. Of course that was my first exposure to LON.

Bill

Post Likes
    Bill,

Im bumping this post because im going to be working on an NAE with a lon trunk. I also have FX Workbench, can I use workbench to set up the trunk instead of LN Builder?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in