Thread: Thermostat Setback temperature

Post Likes
    Hi board, What is the best amount of temperature setback for a programmable thermostat? I have a new American Standard 90%, 80K BTU, two stage furnance. I live in the Chicago area. Would 10 degrees be too much? When would it cut into your efficiency? Thanks

Post Likes
    The closer you get indoor temperature to outdoor temperature, the less heat you lose from the conditioned space. I believe the only limit to setback is your comfort level or perhaps your desire not to subject furniture, etc. to wide temperature swings.
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Post Likes
    Is a Vision Pro 6000 Stat good for a two stage system?

Post Likes
    I set ours back at 60 at night, and then 55 in the day.. 68 when we are home/awake.

Vision Pro does not have the 6000.. Do you mean 8000?? If 8, then yes. I have it and very happy with it.

Honeywell does have Focus Pro 6000...

Post Likes
    There is no point at which you will start to lose efficiency. Anyone who argues so (and some will) doesn't understand thermodymanics.

Set it back as far as you find it comfortable to do so. The more the better, as far as efficiency goes (except for heat pumps in heating season, but that's not the case here).

It will take a little fiddling through the first winter to find what works just right for you. Once you get a sense of how long it takes to heat the place back up once it actually gets that cold in the house, you will know how much you can be comfortable with. Ten degrees is certainly a reasonable start, though.

Post Likes

Honeywell Focus Pro TH6220D

Thanks, your right it is a Honeywell Focus Pro TH6220D thermostat. Is this one a two stage good with this furnance. Thanks

Post Likes
    I would suggest that you utilize the temperature recovery feature. It will automaticaly calculate how long beforehand the unit needs to come on to get at the desired setpoint at the requested time. This feature takes out all the guesswork when doing setbacks as to how long it takes to achieve the new desired setting. The Pro8000 has different settings that can make this recovery more or less agressive.

Post Likes

Re: Honeywell Focus Pro TH6220D

Originally posted by hn5769
    Thanks, your right it is a Honeywell Focus Pro TH6220D thermostat. Is this one a two stage good with this furnance. Thanks
    Yes, this will be fine for it.

Just make sure it's set up for two-stage heating, and wired up to the furance.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in