Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    every so often, when the T stat calls for heat,oil burner comes on, then after perhaps 15 or 20 seconds shuts off.
    It will come back on after approx 45-50 minutes and function normally. This "on and quickly off" problem only seems to occur whenever it is not really too cold (55-60) outside. The T stat is a honeywell magic 32,(new batteries replaced yearly) oil furnace that is well maintained.Cad cell, etc, is also clean. When this quick on-off occurs it does not 'trip' any re-set buttons.
    My thoughts on this is that the T stat calls for a cycle, but then a "current' of warmer air satisfies it(false start?) and hence it does not come on again until enough time has elapsed to call for another cycle.
    Is this T stat just an overly sensitive T stat, with an "itchy trigger finger" or what.?
    It's been doing this mostly in the late spring /early fall for several years now.
    Any ideas, anyone? Thanks.

Put a different thermostat on and see if the problems go away....I think they will.

thanks anyways for the quick reply Casturbo, but all that answer proves is that it sure is a .. "throw away society'

Well... a $30 Mexican thermostat, yes it is a throw away society Quality just isn't there anymore. You might spend a bit more, they do tend to hold up better and have longer warranties. Avoid the home store variety, especially Hunter.

getcha a nice white rogers tstat.

A Honeywell magic stat32..(5+2 day programme) is priced at approx $60. I wouldn't regard it as a 'mexican' $ 30 cheapie, as one advisor suggested.
    So far ,all the input that has been given is to "chuck" this stat.no technical reasoning, just the lazy ,simple way out.
    Does no one have any technical reasons, or qualified causes to this quick on-off happening.?
    Iwould think that any kid with a maximum of a grade 3 education could probably give me that so-called ...??...advice?
    Come on ,all you "professional" members, this can't be that difficult to figure out... or can it?

Any Carpenters or Plumbers listening?

[Edited by deejoe on 10-17-2005 at 02:59 PM]

What part of "This is not a DIY site" do you have trouble understanding?

I'm glad to see you toss a few insults out to us. That ALWAYS gets someone to break the rules here and give you a MOST HONEST answer.

It might not be exactly what you expect, though.

Noel

You say...;: this is not a DIY site.... duh! who said anything about doing this myself.
    I just would like a TECHNICAL reason for the problem, thats all.

If I ever get around to hiring someone to fix it, maybe it could be you....that is if your not too busy still trying to interpret this forums' rules..

Nope

Won't be me.

But since you asked so nicely, let me help you out. Here's what you need to check. Ta...

[Edited by Noel Murdough on 10-17-2005 at 04:17 PM]

Noel, thanks for the info.
    IMO, thats the best you've ever given, although quite lengthy.

Thank you

And let me say, you are the MOST welcome customer I've encountered on this site, to date. Thank you for the compliment.

Noel

When was the last time you had that unit cleaned and inspected?

Now you have a problem with the unit. Fuel costs are skyrocketing.

So why not call in a professional to repair the unit? While they are there they can clean and inspect your unit to insure a safe living environment for you and your loved ones. Not to mention, having an efficient running system could save you more than the cost of the service.

What's your safety worth? I'm guessing more than the repair bill.

(we can't help DIY, due to site rules )

How much time do you want to spend dicking around with a piece of crap Tstat. Try a different tstat, any old manual stat and it will tell you if the problem exists with the honeywell. It if was a no heat or cool signal from the thermostat, I could tell you how to check the tstat but if it is intermitent there is just about no way to simulate the conditions that make this happen, and therefore no way to check the tstat.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast