Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello HVAC Pros:

I'd like to know the payoff period in Delaware/Philly area for upgrading to a 90% Gas furnace as compared to an 80%.

Also what's the pay-off period to go from 10 to 12 or 13 SEER.

btw: is Ducane brand reliable?

Also: I was wondering if any of you would be interested in a furnace & a/c replacement job on a "Time and Materials" basis - meaning I buy the furnace and a/c and you do the installation.

Thanks in advance.

hmm. thats like asking a car mechanic to do an oil change if you bring in your own filter and oil...

if its cold where you live, go 90. 80 is already against code where i live.

13 seer is code now in jan 2006 also where i live.

ooooh!! sounds like someone wants to start a bidding war!!!

how much hourly? jeez i want a gazillion dollars.

And who pulls the permit in New Castle County???We do not install with other people's equipment due to the chance should something happen, your stuff, my guys, who's fault.I know some guys that do it and make more $$$ than if they supply the furnace.If you do not pull a permit and you wish to sell home the home inspectors can shoot it down.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

could i pull the permit as the General Contractor?

would the county allow me to pull the permit as my own General contractor with the installer as the sub-contractor?

We have to use your permit if your building an addition, we have to produce duct layout and load calc and attach to ours,
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

found your company on your profile..

the tel. number didn't work from where i called.
    would you be interested in doing an installation on a sub-contract T&M basis?

Hmm man.....

i feel like going fishing.......anyone interested?????

Originally posted by shaum76
    Hello HVAC Pros:

Also: I was wondering if any of you would be interested in a furnace & a/c replacement job on a "Time and Materials" basis - meaning I buy the furnace and a/c and you do the installation.
    Thanks in advance.
    Man I hate customers like that. When I hear that proposition, I cant get back to my truck fast enough. lol
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

ok the issue is fair profit

I understand everyone needs to make a fair profit/compensation for whatever they do.

Why is it fair for me (or you) as a customer to pay more for the same thing when you can get it thousands of dollars cheaper?

If you estimate that the job is worth X amount in time and materials for a given configuration/installation no matter the brand - then I'd say its only fair to say ok I save a few hundred dollars - I could give you a portion of what I save and reduce the total cost and everybody's happy.

but if that's not how you think - then that's your prerogative...
    I gez it all depends on how badly one wants the job and also I gez on how busy you are (if you are very busy with other "nicer" - not so cost conscious customers)

and also on how good a relationship you already have with the customer...

I'm guesing you wouldn't run away if the same was suggested by your friend, colleague or relative... then again I'm not so sure about some people.

I'm guesing you wouldn't run away if the same was suggested by your friend, colleague or relative... then again I'm not so sure about some people.

Honestly, you may find someone who
    installs the equipment you buy.

Maybe he works out of a station wagon, doesn't have a license or insurance either.

Does he do a load calculation or replace an improper cold air drop

No problem though because you are saving dollars hand over fist

Originally posted by shaum76
    I understand everyone needs to make a fair profit/compensation for whatever they do.

Why is it fair for me (or you) as a customer to pay more for the same thing when you can get it thousands of dollars cheaper?

If you estimate that the job is worth X amount in time and materials for a given configuration/installation no matter the brand - then I'd say its only fair to say ok I save a few hundred dollars - I could give you a portion of what I save and reduce the total cost and everybody's happy.

but if that's not how you think - then that's your prerogative...
    I gez it all depends on how badly one wants the job and also I gez on how busy you are (if you are very busy with other "nicer" - not so cost conscious customers)

and also on how good a relationship you already have with the customer...

You think that is just the time and the material?

How about workers comp?

What about fuel charges?

Liability Insurance?

Years of learning to be able to achieve a mechanical license?

Payroll? Payroll taxes? Health Insurance?

Yeah we should all rush out to help you, save a buck. What you need to realize is, noone is getting rich off your one install. Sure there is a mark up, and it covers overhead, and a fair profit.

Do you give away your services?

There's not a whole lot of profit in labor only.

We have done work like that already though.

We just increase our labor rate 60%, so we make out about the same.

The customer doesn't really save anything that way, but we're not in biz to lose, or give away money.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast