Blower stays on, heat pump shuts off

Hi there. I just had an American Standard hybrid heat pump, new coils, a new Honeywell thermostat installed. My blower motor worked fine so I did not replace that. Now I have an issue that I have never had with my old heat pump and it's happened about 10 times since install about 2 months ago. The heat pump will shut off once the temp. I have the thermostat set to (78) is reached. However, my blower stays on blowing. This has only happened during the night and between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m. The only way I can get the blower to shut off is by lowering the temperature on the thermostat, this makes the heat pump kick back on, and then everything runs normally again. If I try to turn the system off on the thermostat the blower will stay on, if I raise the temp the blower stays on, no matter what I did the only way I could get it to return to normal operation was by lowering the temp. Does anyone know what this could be? I have a warranty on all new parts but wanted to get some info before I called the company out here. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

yes i have a realy good idea of what it is, but you will need to call your hvac guy as this is not a DIY site. When the tech comes out he should have it running properly in 45 minutes or less.

dogboy

Thank you for your reply but I was in no way going to DIY this. I just wanted to know what it could be so I would be educated when the guy comes out. If it's a problem with the new install then I would like to know so I won't be charged for something I shouldn't be charged for. Also, I wanted to make sure it's not some silly setting on my thermostat that is causing this. Thanks!

If it does not do it constantly then it probably is not the install or the silly t-stat. Having knowledge is good and some people will rip you off but going into it thinking that they might is sad. I know you did not accuse anybody of anything but you did imply they/we are dishonest. I take offense to that and if I am overreacting I apologize. However ask them to explain what happened and why it happened.
    I personally believe a part failed. However i could be wrong and if i am it's not the first or last time i'm sure.

dogboy

Last edited by foofy5; 07-10-2011 at 05:51 PM.

It was a bad relay. Since providing help and guidance are the main benefits of a forum like this one, I wanted to post the solution in case any one else has this same issue.