+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "clean van on own time"

Post Likes
    Originally posted by fitter638nyc
    heapump what in the key box by the back door. NICE RIDE !!!!!!!

keys to buildings that i noramlly don't go to.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by coolwhip
    Good golly Miss Molly!

Post Likes
    TROLL ALEART!

<call the exterminator!!!>

Post Likes
    [img=http://www.ihostphotos.com/imgt/174914.jpg]

This was at the start of a long day for me.....not normally that jacked up

Post Likes
    heatpump.... that's the rig I tried to get our shop to purchase, as we were all getting new vehicles. They were going for it... until they discovered that making to box w/shelving on the outside like that would cost them over $30K for the aluminum version. And atleast that much again for the diesel truck under it.

So we comprimised and they purchased six new Savanah's. I picked the 2001 van, as it is the extended version. And a more comfy cab set up than the 2006's. I have state of the art shelving, and custom made ones as well. It's loaded to the nines with parts, motors, refrigerant, welding and brazing equip. Will be mounting an air compressor in next.

A diesel would have been best as we have a 100 mile radius were I'm the main trouble shooter. Residential, and commercial. Mostly HVAC stuff.

And yes, sometimes we are busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest - and the junk tends to build up. Two minutes at the dumpster when we head out in the mornings, or just before we bugger off after lunch, ususally gets the old motors, junk etc. taken care of.

All the parts, and tools, however are faithfully placed in their exact place when I pick up replacements I used on the jobs.

No matter how organized one is... you'll inevitably leave the odd tool behind. I have two cordless drills as the result of 'finding' my old one left in a customers basement last year. She thought it belonged to her husband, and thought nothing of it. Just left it where it was. I stumble along for the next years maint. And Voilla, the proud owner of two of them.

I still wish we went to the kind of vehicle that Heatpump drives.

I take my truck home, I pay to wash it, but often do so enroute to a Commercial PM where the six minutes won't be missed or fussed over. The shop pays for any time you are down mechanically, tire change - or what ever. They DO ask that we have the scheduled service done on our own time - but they, ofcourse pick up the tab. I think the last time the oil change/and service cost me about 11 minutes of my own precious time. But who's counting?

Ric
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Post Likes
    I probably take 1-2 minutes after I finish each call to put everything back in its place. Especially securing it. Scares the hell out of me if I hear things crashing around. Good refer tools, gages, meters etc are expensive. Sucks if one breaks just because of my laziness. Likewise, company parts. Know what I've got and always know exactly where it is.
    meanwhile, back at the ranch.....

Post Likes
    Originally posted by outside rep
    Originally posted by mr hvac41
    i'm working out of an astro for a company. the first day i got it, the back of the van was absolutley packed with boxes and bags and odds and ends of trash. old ductwork etc! i spent half an hour at the dumpster getting rid of the crap. needless to say, its a lot cleaner now. btw, my aprilaire media filters are bungeed to the top of the shelf they sit on! the van feels like it could roll over when i take a turn at 15!

by rolling the van is that how you rotate stock
    only at 15 mph+ around turns!

that van flies though! vortec 4.3 under the hood of the astro.

Post Likes
    I spent 2 hours straightening my van this afternoon(Sunday). I'm writing in the time at overtime rates.
    Its too busy to clean it during regular hours.

Post Likes

Wink

Well having been a former Canuk HVAC contractor for over 25 years now retired I can tell you for one thing that a vehicle allowed to go home is ADVERTISING for the corporate entities name on the vehicle.
    Thats why they don't mind in a lot of cases.
    On the other hand lots of "Government" jobs can take place.
    They can and do.
    Plus Company need you to run on call/pickup stranded employee...it can be convenient.
    That said.. we used to pay for truck washes but the employees always got to take vehicle home.
    were they asked to keep it clean?
    yes.
    we asked they keep them clean internally and no damagable stock to be left laying 'bout the floor eg: oil burner nozzles out of cases scrunched by boots and ground into truck floor.One example I could site others.
    You know the drift.
    Was it always followed?
    No.
    We just instituted/did casual periodic non invasive(as possible) inspections.
    And encouraged
    One employee for some reason had a penchant for his clothes including undergarments being strewn about the interior of the vehicle in various states of cleanliness or lack of..

Post Likes
    now there is someone who works for a living !

Post Likes
    My truck is straightened up after every job. It got messed up on your job, it'll get straightened up on your job. My time is for me.

Post Likes
    Payson ....... in a few years when your daughter and her friends are Washing your van wearing bikinis ahhhhhh.......

are we going to get pictures ??????????? You know you have been a little lax on pics in the wall of shame lately

That will make up for it lol

Post Likes
    Originally posted by coolwhip
    Im a neat freak. Drives me crazy when I cant find something. Ever look for a tool for ten minutes and find it in your back pocket?
    that usually happens with my service wrench or pocket level for T-Stats.

Tommy

Post Likes
    Here is what mine looked like.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by NormChris

When I ran a service van I always cleaned my van at the customers job. Their job created the mess so they can pay the time to clean it up. That way my van always looked nice for the next customer. It was rare that I ever cleaned my van on my own time.

I still say you wear a white polo shirt and always request a helper! Get the drift? :-)

Post Likes
    Originally posted by indian
    Originally posted by NormChris

When I ran a service van I always cleaned my van at the customers job. Their job created the mess so they can pay the time to clean it up. That way my van always looked nice for the next customer. It was rare that I ever cleaned my van on my own time.

I still say you wear a white polo shirt and always request a helper! Get the drift? :-)
    Thats sounds about right for that guy....

Post Likes

Clean your van?

I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning my van. If I let it get like those pics, I wouldn't have a job. And rightly so. Like it or not, your bosses name is on that van and you are his representative.

Post Likes

Lightbulb

WORD OF ADVICE, I HAVE FOUND THAT THE WAY I KEEP MY TRUCK IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO HOW MY DAY IS GOING TO GO, IF YOU KEEP YOUR TRUCK LIKE THAT THEN CHANCES ARE THAT YOUR PROBABLY PISSED MOST OF THE TIME.

I HAVE ALSO FOUND THAT IF YOU LET THE OFFICE RUSH YOU OFF OF EVERY JOB, THEN THEY WILL UNDOUBTEDLY USE YOU AND WEAR YOU OUT.

DON'T BE THE FASTEST JUST THE BEST.

Post Likes

Lightbulb

MILLERMAN:

GOTTA SAY I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE IS OVERHEAD IN THIS BUSSINESS. I MYSELF HAVE ALSO RAN A BUSSINESS. AS FOR MYSELF I AM A TECH AT HEART AND DON'T WANT TO RUN A BUSINESS.

HOWEVER IT SEEMS TO ME THAT EVEN TECHS WHO CHOOSE TO GO INTO BUSINESS OR WORK IN MANAGEMENT OFTEN TIMES GET BLINDED BY THE MONEY. I HAVE SEEN HALF A DOZEN TECHNICIANS GO INTO MANAGEMENT AND 5 HAVE FORGOTTEN WHERE THEY STARTED, ONLY ONE WILL STILL COME OUT AND GRAB A WRENCH AND EVEN GET DIRTY. ALL THE REST OF THEM SEEM TO SPEND THE MAJORITY OF THEIR TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WAYS TO INCREASE THEIR BONUSES. WHICH BY THE WAY WILL ALWAYS START BY TAKING BENEFITS AWAY FROM THE TECHS. THE MORE WORK YOU CAN MAKE A TECH DO OFF THE CLOCK THE BIGGER THE BONUS BOTTOM LINE. I HAVE HAD MANY MANAGERS AND ALL OF THEM WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TWO REALIZE THAT THE TECHS ARE THE HEART OF THE COMPANY

WE ARE THE ONES THAT PUT UP WITH %$%$ JOBS AND EARN THE CUSTOMERS TRUST NOT TO MENTION THE MANY TIMES WE PUT OUR LIVES ON THE LINE EVERYDAY, I REALLY MEAN THAT MOST OF US TECHS AND MANAGEMENT FORGET THAT THIS IS A DANGEROUS JOB AND TECHS ARE AT RISK ALMOST EVERY MINUTE OF THE DAY.

RECENTLY AT OUR SHOP, OUR MANAGER MADE A 30,000 DOLLAR BONUS FOR THE THIRD QUARTER. NOT TO MENTION THE 70,000 DOLLAR ANNUAL SALARY. AND WHO KNOWS WHAT HE MADE FOR THE FIRST AND SECOND NOT TO MENTION THE FOURTH.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE OF HIM TO AT LEAST BUY SOME PIZZA OR SHOW US TECHS THAT WE WERE A PART OF MAKING THAT HAPPEN. BUT AS ALWAYS NOT EVEN A THANK YOU.

SO MR MILLERMAN WHILE I AGREE THAT THEIR IS OVERHEAD IN THIS BUSINESS I HAVE TO SAY THE MAJORITY OF THE OVERHEAD IS SPENT IN THE OFFICE. AND ON BONUSES. I PERSONALLY THINK THAT BONUSES SHOULD BE STRIPPED FROM ALL UPPER MANAGEMENT AND GIVEN TO TECHS INSTEAD, SINCE WE HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BRING IN MORE BUSINESS IT ONLY SEEMS LIKE THE CORRECT THING TO DO.

AS FOR THE GUY WITH MESSY TRUCK, DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND DON'T LET MANAGEMENT GET YOU DOWN WITH THAT CLEAN YOUR TRUCK ON YOUR TIME, IT IS NOT THAT BIG OF AN ISSUE. IF YOU TAKE 10 MINUTES TO CLEAN IT BEFORE EVERY JOB IT WILL SOON BE A JOY TO WORK EVERYDAY AND IF YOU EVER HAVE TO CLEAN IT AT HOME IT WILL BE MINIMAL AND WON'T EVEN BE NECESSARY.

Post Likes
    millerman: excellent comments. I recommend everyone go back and read it. on first page of this thread.

Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in