+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "clean van on own time"

Post Likes
    Your work truck is a billboard or advertisement. You are sending everyone a message.

Post Likes
    good grief..this one has came back from the dead, most the pics wont load lol

Post Likes
    Kinda looks like mine at the end of a busy week but it don't stay like that much longer cause it bugs me too much.

Post Likes

clean vehicle

Touchy subject hey boys? Read through them and saw MARKWOLF response which is kinda true .Before anybody gets holier than thou, it depends what work you do.For ex. someone who is fr.small town/shop multiti-ticketed can do plmbg,refrig. and a bit of sheet metal work.Can be a challenge to provide good customer service w/well stocked vehicle vs.shops position on amt.of stock they would like to pay carrying charges on.
    Company name and number on outside so definitely outside appearance should be good .Heres a big concern: DRIVING habits.Everybody has cell ph .and shops can field a whack of calls fr.annonymous people[justified or not] We all love taking inventory, right? Can suprise you sometimes with doubled up items sometimes so it can serve a purpose to keep things in check too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    OMG, if I had a tech with a van like that he would straighten up or find another job. Do you realize how much money in damaged parts that could be under all that crap?
    Amen, Brother.........I go off on my guys regularly over this kind of crap.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    This would have got you put in jail ( yep , I said jail ) when I was a Cryo-Refer in the US Airforce

Post Likes
    my van is a mess right now, mainly all junk that needs to go to the dumpster. Boss has been on a "save that part for me" kick, wanting to see broken parts and what not. I save them but he then never wants to see them. "just keep that on your van"

Post Likes
    Who would want to be seen in a dumpster like that anyways? Personal or business, it is a reflection on you. There are times when you are just too busy to stop and clean but come on man. If I can't find something I start to get flustered so cleaning is something I do for me.

I work with a guy who spilled a gallon of cutting oil about 2 months ago and never cleaned it. I jumped on his truck for a PVC tee last week and got oil all over the bottom of my boots. Who can work like that?

Cleaning my truck relaxes me so I dont mind doing it. We also have a high pressure hose with soap and a brush at the shop so it takes 5 minutes to make my van look nice. I save 50 bucks a week on gas and I get to ride in a clean truck. JMO

Post Likes
    Having a company van adds like 6k to your gross pay. You should organize it and keep it clean for that privilege.
    Always here

Post Likes
    To the OP:

I'm surprised you still have a job. Good luck getting anywhere with that attitude.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Having a company van adds like 6k to your gross pay. You should organize it and keep it clean for that privilege.
    Not sure but I think itcosts more to the tune of 8K or 10K, depending on who you ask.

Maybe in "slower lower" though

Post Likes
    one word "YUCK"
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

Post Likes

Cool right vehicle for right job

Most trashed trucks I see are "dual purpose" service and installation rigs. This is where you cram a ton of installation crap into an already overburdened service rig. Next thing you know, you are damaging materials as HeyBob noted, you can't find stuff, which adds to your stress, which can cause errors or make you hasten and do sloppy work. If you climb over junk and injure yourself, no matter how minor the injury, your frustration level, and work ethic, goes through the roof. Wasting time digging around for something cuts into profits and prolongs the homeowner's time offline waiting on you.

If you intend to do service and installation, how in the world do you draw up your grocery list of materials and tools needed in this junk pile? You're bound to either buy duplicates or ASSume you have something you don't, which is a profit killer.

You need reasonable access to DAILY inspect your van for contents to conduct routine service, if that's your bag. To head out without knowing your truck inventory is hurting your company and your clients-not professional.

Professional service companies do not allow tobacco products used in the vehicles or jobsites-period.

On vehicles >10,000lbs GVWR, you are required by DOT to conduct a daily walkaround inspection. I can assure based upon previous DOT spot inspections, they WILL flag you for carrying around a junkyard in your vehicle. For starters, how do you access your roadside emergency equipment such as changing a tire? Jack and lug wrench are buried or missing.

As soon as the company has grown enough for a second vehicle, that vehicle should be a dedicated installation truck with a lift gate, racks and storage sufficient to peform routine installs. Don't overload that truck with service related stuff either. Keep the gauges & torches in the service truck and the pipe vise in the install truck.

Professional companies will hold regular team meetings (bi-weekly) to discuss problems, give product updates and training and review company admin. issues. This is where the techs are brought in by mgt to form a team to analyze the company's needs. The team of techs look at your avg. service and install calls, list every single thing normally needed, cross-check against current inventory then develops a plan to procure the gap tools, equipment and materials then works out a storage plan. Techs are not allowed to re-arrange trucks. That way everyone knows where to find stuff on any truck and its easy to maintain inventory MSLs. Professional companies empower their employees. Yes, mgrs need to routinely show their appreciation for their techs.

Post Likes

Jeez, digging deep for old threads or what?

Or digging deeper to find something in that van.
    Leaving the debate of who pays to keep van clean look at the cost of the trashed stuff in the vans. Been around guys who needs to be overly stocked with materials seem justified by the ability to have everything on the trucks, if they can find them and if the tool/part is still usable. Hell, have them with motors, caps and other things that the name tags have long since worn off from bouncing around. Have inventoried trucks with 2, 3 and 4 of the same part. But comes time to use one they grab the one most recently purchased either cause it's easier to find or they are to embarrassed to use the one that bounced around or is grubby beyond belief.
    Who pays? The tech does, whether he realizes it or not he does.

Post Likes
    I'll end with this, work is a two way street. Be respectful of the people who sign your checks, lose the arrogance and show some pride in your company as first impressions can't be redone. Businesses spend ugly amounts of money to get you to a customers door touting their cleanliness and knowledge and if you think your not being compensated properly or your companies policies aren't proper, maybe you should move on.

^^ This sums up my position exactly, if you can't take pride in ALL of your work...why bother?

Post Likes
    Out of respect for the company ALLOWING ME to drive their truck, I have always taken the RESPONSIBILITY to keep it clean, Orderly is helpful, but every now & then....2am on any night somethings do not always get put back in their place. I thought we were "Professionals", driving a truck is a privilege NOT a RIGHT.

Post Likes
    I have a detailed list of what I am supposed to have on my truck at all times. I use a part, I write it down and it goes in my box at the shop. My boss makes the list and it is the same for all rigs. Does anyone else do this? I think it makes it easy for me. If I need to run to Johnstones for something, he can hardly be mad at me if its not on his list.

Post Likes
    Time to go, Pack the truck like it's a Friday!
    Last edited by f t young; 02-22-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Post Likes
    Just getting it loaded now...got the basics...still have more in the storage unit to add
    Attachment 80042 Overview

Attachment 80052 Tools/Drill etc

Attachment 80062 Tools/Sockets/Wrenches

Attachment 80072 Toolpouch/VOM/More to add

Attachment 80082 Misc tools/Sheetmetal/Tubing Cutters/Swedges/Hammers/More to add

Attachment 80092 Torch/extra bottles/CO2/nitrogen/Still more to add
    Last edited by thrashme; 02-22-2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: details

Post Likes
    More Passenger side
    Attachment 80102 Overview

Attachment 80112 Contactors/Relays/Comm Refrig Parts

Attachment 80122 Caps/Fuses/Stats/Pot Relays

Attachment 80132 Misc Stuff/Recovery Machine/Vac Pump

Attachment 80142 Nuts/Bolts/PVC/Brass/Copper Ftg

Attachment 80152 TXV Kit/Digital Scale/Solderless connector/Small Brass/Metal Screws/Wood Screws
    Last edited by thrashme; 02-22-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Details

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in