Thread: New C of Q

Post Likes
    Hey Guys, just wondering if anyone has written the new c of q in the toronto area, heard it was a tough one and that only like 30% people passing..

Looking for some truth behind this, or is it a scare tactic rumour..Writing in march, looking forward to it..

Post Likes
    What is C of Q, certificate of qualifications for HVAC contractors?

This something new in Ontario?
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    He means certificate of qualification as an Refrig/Ac Mechanic.
    This is the government exam we had to write after our 9000 hour apprenticeship was done. I've heard they have a few exams and you don't know which you'll get.

70% failure rate means you got the hard one.
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

Post Likes
    Okay, refrigeration mechanics license
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Post Likes
    Yah, i heard there are a few, i am a bit worried, but figure i will pass with the experience i got anyways, thanks for the post..

Post Likes
    I heard the same thing. Apparently they re-wrote the exam to make it more nationally applicable. I was told there are heating questions. I know two guys that wrote earlier this year and both did well. One of them was real nervous after hearing same thing you did, ridiculously high failure rate. They both said alot of installation related questions and less service. I think the best thing to do is write as soon as you finish advanced. Sounds to me like if you know your stuff you'll do alright.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the post there Brother, noticed you are in the local, same here..Advanced is in Jan, so write in march, 9000 hours of everykind kind of work is gonna pay off..Anyways stay safe..Thanks

Post Likes
    I was a sheet metal guy, not commercial rfg.

Had gas fitter 1 before they brought in propane.

Seems in Canada all the trades are licensed and protected on the commercial stuff, you need a ticket for gas fitting even on resi, used to be an ozone depletion card to get freon and stuff for 5 tons and under.

No real need for a NATE in Canada, but i was hearing something about a ticket for resi hvac in Ontario.

Post Likes
    Carnak they're either working on or have an HVAC certification for resi. It would be in addition to ODP and gas. Still need ODP for commercial work as well. Gas licence is nothing like it used to be. Now the schooling is pretty intense and expensive. Couple guys I work with went to fitter 1 last year. It was almost every sat sun 8 hours for like 6 months. I wrote back when they were giving them away. Every now and then there's manditory upgrades I guess to keep guys like me current. And your right I don't think NATE would serve any purpose here. Anyway thought you might like an update.

Post Likes
    I left Canada right when they were almagamating propane and natural gas.

I had the fitter 1 in Alberta first before moving back to Ontario.

In alberta it was good for unlimited btus gas or propane and to my surprise for converting cars to propane.

When I wrote the test in Alberta I thought it was going to be just a test on natural gas, I passed by the skin of my teeth. So a little flaw in the system there.

When I moved back to Ontario I just had to pay money for the fitter 2, they put on the fitter 1 course for the first time in a while because of the changes that were coming.

Ontario was a harder test but it was open book as you could bring your code book and one text book by Dutton. Did well on the Ontario one.

Post Likes
    One of these?

I still have them in my truck, don't open them too often, but comforting to know they are there
    I got my G1 on the last exam offered at Niagara College before they restructured the whole thing.

A buddy of mine was taking the G1 course and I decided to challenge it (50 bucks to sit in and write the exam with proof of work experience).

Best part was when my buddy and I wrote the exam, I passed and he failed! I still tease him to this day.

[Edited by sonc on 10-18-2005 at 04:57 AM]
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

Post Likes
    lol the commercial and industrial burner one, don't brag now or i will have to tell ya about the one i got wrong

[Edited by Carnak on 10-18-2005 at 07:18 AM]

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    Post Likes
    I wrote it about 5 months ago to get my Red Seal....Was it ever different, ice rink questions, supermarket questions. I failed by one mark.. going to re-write after heating season.

Post Likes
    I'm in advanced at mohawk right now, I'm going to write in january hopefully, I heard there was 4 different tests and some were harder then others I can't wait to get it over with tho

Post Likes
    I wrote Jan-06 for the second time I found the test to be all over the place, heating,cooling,refrigeration, ice rinks, controls, remember your fractions and SH of water. Just relax take all time you are allowed and take the dictionary when they offer it to you, I found that it helped with some of those trickery words in the questions. Good luck,: you'll do fine.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Post Likes
    All the red seal trade exams have at least 4 different exams made up from a question bank.
    No test is harder than the others.

Know your math inside and out. Know your codes and how to use them.

Passing is really that simple.

If you think that you are not being taught everything you need, look up a copy of the national occupational analysis for your trade. The exams are based on it.
    http://www.red-seal.ca/tr.1d.2@-eng....id=202&tid=202 (refrigation/ac is here)

BTW, the above applies to Canada.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by markmast View Post
    I'm in advanced at mohawk right now, I'm going to write in january hopefully, I heard there was 4 different tests and some were harder then others I can't wait to get it over with tho
    so your teacher is randy then ? he preps you pretty well for it

Post Likes

c of q

Just wrote my c of q in Toronto on Friday. I found it challenging, but certainly passable. I think I passed, however, one never knows with these types of tests. I went to Mohawk and finished advanced three weeks ago.

Post Likes
    Ya randys a good teacher!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in