Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused

I currently have an electric furnace (that's what my contractor/salesperson says...I have no glue how to tell); he recommends a heatpump for our new system. Will a heatpump produce enough heat in our N.C./Sandshills area?

A properly installed heat pump will be a lot better then all electric, which is what you have now.

There are heat pumps heating homes in Canada, so I don't think you should have a problem.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Thank you for your reply. The salesperson kept on explaining me the heat is like baby breath, that's when I started to worry about the heat output; I am used to the blazing heat I am receiving from our current system.

Heat Pump still has eletric heat in the fan section, to jump in when cold out. But I think where you live the heat pump would carry the load most of the time.Get avariable speed fan coil, it really makes it nice.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

i have a friend in NC and he had en ecectric furnace and was complaining about realy high bills for heating. two years ago i went down and installed a heat pump for him and he said his bill are now about one third of what they were so yes it is worth it as long as it is sized and installed properly

Thumbs up Heat Pump Operation

Originally posted by gardenelf
    I currently have an electric furnace (that's what my contractor/salesperson says...I have no glue how to tell); he recommends a heatpump for our new system.

Will a heatpump produce enough heat in our N.C./Sandshills area?
    ONLY 738 hours below 35'F on average for the
    SANDHILLS NC Area.

Great area for a heat pump.

Heat pump will likely handle load down to almost 30'F.
    AUX Heat and heat pump will both be on for higher load periods.

SIGNIFICANT SAVING$

Temp Hours
    100 3
    95 41
    90 152
    85 402
    80 611
    75 843
    70 1207
    65 977
    60 812
    55 704
    50 607
    45 594
    40 566
    35 430
    30 403 738
    25 221
    20 80
    15 29
    10 5
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Dan where did you obtain that information so quickly?

Do you have a link?

Originally posted by jultzya
    Dan where did you obtain that information so quickly?

Do you have a link?
    from my load analysis program
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Smile

Thank ya'll for your help. Dan you are great...I wish I would have you smart guys in my area and install our new system...I feel really comfortable with ya'lls inputs and suggestions...I am soooo happy to have found this side with all of you professionals.

Originally posted by dan sw fl
    from my load analysis program
    Which companies program are you using?

Gardenelf....RoBoTech is right about heat pumps in Canada! I live in south eastern Ontario and had a heat pump installed 3 years ago. It's a Carrier 2.5 ton model 38YZA and a FV4A varriable speed fan coil. It works pretty good, although, I had to have the TXV valve changed this summer. That didn't make me too happy. I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing putting in the heat pump instead of a gas furnace. If you are on this site very much you will find out that as far as refridgeration is concerned everybody that is anybody seems to have a different opinion about how to fix a problem or how to determine what is wrong. Probably the key is to find a compenant contractor who knows how to diagnose a problem correctly. No easy task, let me tell you. I won't have a final verdict on the heat pump variable speed fan coil for another 12 to 15 years. I can tell you that, if you like to reduce the temperature at night, a heat pump is much slower to recover then say a gas furnace or a electric furnace or a oil furnace.

Thorton

Average mean temp in N.C. is relatively high.
    Heat pump is the best option IMO.

I'm a homeowner in the Lake Norman area of NC. We have HP's and have been in the house for 2 full winters now (previous home had natural gas heat). I have no regrets about going with a HP vs other fuel options. The temp is usually moderate enough for the HP to operate quite effectively for the most part throughout the winters in the non-mountain regions of NC. Perhaps in the coldest parts of Jan and Feb, your HP will rely on the electric heating elements to supplement, but other than that relatively short period of time throughout the year, the HP should heat your home effectively. From my experience, I wouldn't hesitate on going with the HP in your area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast