I was looking into upgrading my HVAC zone panel to something newer (currently using an old Mastertrol Mark V panel which doesnt allow me individual fan control, no built in short cycle delay, etc).

I dont feel uncomfortable replacing it myself so I wont turn this into a DIY how-to question.

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend some good brand replacement panels. I can find a Robertshaw and EWC panel pretty easily, was wondering what is the better of the two, and if any other brands are considered better (quality-wise, I notice that all the brands have different levels of features, etc. I just want to know what the pros prefer to install).

Thanks in advance

-Chris

What kind of equipment? What type of damper?

Single stage oil forced hot air, electric A/C.

Power open/power closed opposed blade Trol-a-temp dampers.

Right now the whle setup is single stage but eventually when it needs to be replaced I was thinking about upgrading to 2 stage/variable speed but that is a while off (furnace setup is only 6 years old right now). I was looking at the EWC 3000BMPlus panel and the Robertshaw slimzone deluxe panels, because they provide for multi-stage use whenever I change over to it.

-Chris

I can't speak for the Robert Shaw control, but I have never had a problem with an EWC zone control in about 9 years of using them. They are the only ones I use when we are not using Trane's intagrated zone control.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

We have also been using EWC for about three years now.

No problems with the panels, very versatile.

I have had to replace several damper motors.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

I had to replace one of the newer blue cased damper motors. They claimed they had a bad batch of them through that have had problems with bad electrical connections.
    The system was installed about a year ago, I hope it is the only damper that goes bad.

I like the damper motors on Trane's dampers a lot more. They are at least twice the size and have 55 in# of torque.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the EWC panel (3000BMPlus).

Any idea when the bad batch of motors was? Oddly enough around last Xmas I had to replace the motor on one of my Trol-a-temp dampers and the HVAC supply shop sold me an EWC motor.

Zoning is great until one of the zone dampers freezes open! My lower floor always felt cold and the airflow wasnt high enough, turned out the damper motor had seized and the spring-open took over and kept the non-calling floor open the whole time. Wonder how much oil I wasted on that one

-Chris

As long as the panel you chose supports the old dampers, you're fine. I hope it has a thermistor over heat and over cool sensor.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    I had to replace one of the newer blue cased damper motors. They claimed they had a bad batch of them through that have had problems with bad electrical connections.
    The system was installed about a year ago, I hope it is the only damper that goes bad.

I like the damper motors on Trane's dampers a lot more. They are at least twice the size and have 55 in# of torque.
    Same here with one of the bad batch motors.

Baldie, EWC does come with a supply air sensor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yeah, it comes with the sensor. Judging from the manuals, the old dampers should work fine (terminals are even labelled the same M1, M2, etc).

Oddly enough though, the current setup doesnt have one attached to the panel. Rather, it seems its up to the air handler to determine when to shut down (I know the oil primary has it built in, but Im not quite sure if there is a cold-air cutoff for the A/C. But now Ill have one for both which makes me feel better).

-Chris

Zone Panel

How many zones?