Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The latent capacity in 1st stage of 2 stage systems is low. It usually is not a problem because, if sized correctly, the system runs long enough that more total moisture is removed than a single stage system would remove in the same time frame with its shorter on cycles.

The low latent capacity of 2 stage systems is the reason it is very bad practice to oversize 2 stage systems. The system needs to be matched to the peak load based on the 2nd stage capacity of the system, just like you would match a single stage system.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    1st Stage ,600 cfms,95 OD,75ID,63WB;16,000 total,13,580 sensible,2420 latent.

We know it runs at lower cfms ,but don't have published capacities ,which hopefully will be forthcoming in the near future.

The run time difference in low ,while in a dehum mode,is what may make the difference ,between which is better,70% or 50% for 1st stage.I don't have the answer,but we have hundreds of two stage Carriers installed ,and no complaints about indoor humidity .

I cant remember which spec I looked at, its been a while so I will stand corrected (for now)

Estimate

Originally posted by Yellow dot...

I can come down for an estimate if its within 1 hour or so.

If the drive is in the 1 hour range, there may be a small additional charge for driving if you want us to do the work.

Estimates are free.

Hello Yellow dot, just wondering if you made up your mind and if you are able to come down for an estimate? Thank you.

Give us a call and ask for Renee. 919-754-8686

Tell her I told you to call. My name is Shaun.

Have her schedule for Tuesday afternoon or after.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

That difference in Trane or Carrier is little. It is what
    you want. The installer is going to make the big difference. 410 is 410. The thermidistat is what will help you with the effiency. Also check the rebates. I think Carrier has a great deals going on NOw.

Thank you

Thank you Yellow dot...I'll call and schedule an appointment.

Servit..you are right!..Carrier and Trane offer nice rebates right now, depending on what system you purchase you can save up to $ 1000.

Thank ya'll for your help. If you want I'll send some pics and let you know how things went.

never mind was a dumb question
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Not a pro, and don't know what to look for!

Hello -

I am trying to find some information on what we need to do to replace our failing residental HVAC system. Here is what is going on - does anyone have any comments or advice?

My wife and I moved to Raleigh, North Carolina nearly three years ago. Our home has a 15 year-old, 3-ton outdoor Trane HVAC unit the kind that both heats and cools. We replaced the rusted out heat exchanger soon after we moved in, but now the A/C coil has gone out. They are rusting through and freon escapes, causing the coils to ice up.

Our HVAC guy has told us that replacing the entire unit will probably be the best thing for us to do because the cost to replace the coil (and condenser, which we would do at the same time because it is probably going to go soon, too) would be 2/3 or more of the cost of a replacement unit. We finished off the attic and thus added space; we probably need to move up to a 3.5 ton unit (the house now has about 2,250 square feet of living space). From what little I know about SEER, I guess we are looking at a SEER 13 Trane or Lennox unit. We really like our HVAC guy, and as he is a Lennox dealer that may well be what we wind up with. But...

We dont know anything about this stuff. We dont know if we should get (a) just a heat pump or (b) a combination unit or (c) separate units (an A/C unit and a furnace side by side). We dont even know if we can use a heat pump alone in North Carolina, or whether we would have to supplement it with a furnace. Being a bit cautious, we would like to better understand what our options are, and what might be the best choices. (And unfortunately, cost rules out a geothermal heat pump!)

If any of you folks have the time and inclination (not to mention the experience) to comment to us. we woukd relly appreciate hearing what you have to say!

Many thanks...

Fred

1.Manuals J,S,and D to size and select the equipment,Man.D to design the duct system.Anything else is a guess,or a "rule of dumb".See http://www.acca.org

2.Gas with a heat pump,called "dual fuel",is a great way to go.Check with local utilites for advice and rebates.

3.Variable speed indoor fan ,with a great "conrol" system can reduce electric consumption and increase comfort ,over a standard fan motor.

4.The choice of refrigerents is likely to come up check http://www.410a.com for some info..
    5.Read some more ,and use the search function ,with "your" keywords on this site.Might want to do that and post a thread of your own with remaining questions.

Final decision

comparing contractors and proposals sure is exhausting. Just when I thought I had narrowed my search to two finalists, one slammed me with a proposal which is more than a grand higher than the other..neither contractor shows the labor and the "material" price separate, so I am left wondering if there is such a huge price difference in the systems. The only difference I could find so far the more expensive Trane XL 14i proposal has only a 2 Ton capacity, compare to the Carriers Performance Series 2.5 Tons...any help?

Gardenelf if you are still accepting bids give us a call(910)891-8472 ask for Andy. We are a small company out of Erwin about 35 miles from Sanford.
    Certified,qualified and can do it cause were used to it.

Re: Final decision

Originally posted by gardenelf
    comparing contractors and proposals sure is exhausting. Just when I thought I had narrowed my search to two finalists, one slammed me with a proposal which is more than a grand higher than the other..neither contractor shows the labor and the "material" price separate, so I am left wondering if there is such a huge price difference in the systems. The only difference I could find so far the more expensive Trane XL 14i proposal has only a 2 Ton capacity, compare to the Carriers Performance Series 2.5 Tons...any help?
    Manual J can get you the correct size,that's what you need.

What size do you have now,and how does it do on a hot day?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast