Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sanford Area (between Sanford and Fayetteville)

I'll ask my Trane rep for a recomendation tomorrow.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

the problem with 50% Capacity is poor latent capacity... that 3 ton will only give you about 980 btuhs latent when on low speed at nominal cfm.

Yellow Dot, thank you, I am getting sooooo frustrated with this whole process. We have only one recommended Trane dealer in our area and after waiting on him for a day, he decided not to come out at all for an estimate because "they" are to backed up...well, if all fails I break a hole in the wall stick a pipe in it and heat my house with a good old wood burning stove.GitErDone..LOL.

Doc, you lost me, I don't know what latent capacity is, I'll have to look it up.

Peytonc..the carrier sales guy told me the Performance HP 2.5 ton is a 1 stage/speed compressor and he felt like it wouldn't make much sense to spend so much more money on the Infinity system, since the Performance Series will do just fine for my needs, afterall my house is only 1300 sq.ft...I really don't know, I thougt I had it all figured out. Trying to find the right install company is really kicking my butt.

How far are you from Raleigh?

I can come down for an estimate if its within 1 hour or so.

If the drive is in the 1 hour range, there may be a small additional charge for driving if you want us to do the work.

Estimates are free.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by docholiday
    the problem with 50% Capacity is poor latent capacity... that 3 ton will only give you about 980 btuhs latent when on low speed at nominal cfm.

What is the cfm in low speed for that three ton?Isn't it important to the latent?

Yellow Dot..Mapquest estimates a travel time of 80 min. and 57.1 miles, taking US I straight into Raleigh, rekken it depends on where you are located give or take a few more miles and minutes. My neighbor drives to the North Side of Raleigh every day and he takes 421 through Lillington,I would have to look into this route. With gas prices that high and such a long distance, rekken we could work out something. I had a company deliver rocks from Wake Forest before and they fuzzed about the distance and I ended up paying a hefty delivery charge. I am ready to get some work started...

yellow dot, you will be more than happy with the performance series. It is a very fine system. It is the majority of what we install.

Dash- a carrier air-handler, if all setting are set to normal, will decrease the CFM to 50% in low stage. so given its a 3 ton unit, 350cfm (normal cfm on carrier) x 3= 1050CFM on high speed and 525cfm on low speed.

Originally posted by peytonc2682
    yellow dot, you will be more than happy with the performance series. It is a very fine system. It is the majority of what we install.

Dash- a carrier air-handler, if all setting are set to normal, will decrease the CFM to 50% in low stage. so given its a 3 ton unit, 350cfm (normal cfm on carrier) x 3= 1050CFM on high speed and 525cfm on low speed.
    And even further if in a dehumidification mode.

One problem is Carrier doesn't print capacities at those cfms.

[Edited by dash on 10-19-2005 at 02:09 PM]

I believe that Dehum. is 80% of normal, which would be 840CFM in 2nd stage and 420 in 1st stage. Even though that sounds low, you have to view it as a 1.5 ton unit while in 1st stage; then it makes more sense.

Dash,
    Maybe I mistated or failed to explain.

If you have a 3 ton coil and only flow the refrigerant volume for 1.5 tons the bypass factor on the coil is increased. Lowering the airflow will help maintain a colder coil but it also reduces the overall capcity giving you lower than the 1.5 tons. Yes, it may help with the latent (humidity for the OP) but it's more of an adjustment to the SHR than an actual increase in latent capacity.

Remember, for the systems that simply install oversized indoor coils for SEER points that have poor latent capacity is in reality all that is done when you shift to 50%. You got a 3 ton coil on a 1.5 ton system.

Now, I'm not busting on 2 stage, I think it's great. What I am suggesting however is considering priority on what is important from job to job. And matching the proper equipement and installation to the individual job.

I agree,but I think your off on what the latent will be,at nominal and more importantly lower cfms per ton.

So what would they be?

Dont get me wrong here but that was from the Carrier product data sheet for the 3 ton 18 seer unit. it may have been 995 but it was below 1000. No I didnt just recently look it up, I remember it from an earlier post.

There are also other issues. For instance, lets say we have a 3 ton system with ductwork designed for 1200 cfm at a total static of around .4" (not friction). What happens to the static when I reduce the airflow to 450 cfm? It goes in the dump. When that happens, unless you are zoned, you have very little control of where that air goes. Odds are your total static will fall below .1".

I just dont think a 50% system has the ability to perform in comfort to a 70% 1st stage.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast