Thread: Rheem Modulating Furnace, remote temp sensors?

Post Likes
    Hi, I just received two seperate bids for a Rheem Modulating 60k furnace change out. The second bid talked about a minumum of 4 seperate temp senders that would need to be installed for the modulating part of the furnace to be fully effective. Are these needed or will the specific modulating thermostat do the trick? Thanks for your input

Post Likes
    At least two sensors are needed and they are installed into or come with the furnace.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Remote sensors are not needed. We've only had one customer want them, not sure if they got any benefit. It helps average the temp in the house by sensing remote rooms. It disables the sensor in the stat. If the stat location is poor, I'd rather see it moved than mess with the remotes.

Robo, are you thinking of the supply & return sensors?

Post Likes

Smile

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I appreciate your professional knowledge on the subject. My only other thought is why don't other manufacturers jump on the modulating technology?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie

Robo, are you thinking of the supply & return sensors?
    That's exactly what I am thinking of. I forgot about the thermostat remote sensors that are available for use. Sorry, I misunderstood the question.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    In addtion, the return sensor is preinstalled. The only one needed is the supply sensor.

The sensors he's talking about is more for averageing.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by docholiday
    In addtion, the return sensor is preinstalled. The only one needed is the supply sensor.

The sensors he's talking about is more for averageing.
    OK...I stated that one was installed

I installed the first mod sold in the Baltimore/DC area and did it with a zoned duct system. (I know; it cannot be done )And yes, the HO has been very pleased with it since day one.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Robo, nobody ever said it cant be done, what they are saying is the zoning is yours and if you make it work fine but the mfg of the furnace cant be expected to know what problems you may encounter since they arent in the zoning business.

Its sort of like filters. You can install any filter you want but if there is a problem, the filter has to be eliminated as a source of the problem.

Post Likes
    When the mod first came out, Rheem/Ruud had specified; DO NOT INSTALL THIS FURNACE WITH ANY CONVENTIONAL ZONE SYSTEM.

At the time, I was in the process of going to work repping Rheem/Ruud, so I was very careful to distance myself from that job
    Training is important!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in