Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I just installed my Infinity 96 58MVP updraft furnace and need some help with the media cabinet. The manual does not have any reference to it. Does it mount on the outside of the furnace? Does it replace the filter that came with it? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kapdan

Are you a home owner trying to install a return air media cabinet?
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Yes, I am a homeowner that installed the furnace, compressor, and coil while replacing the old system. I have an HVAC contractor that is guiding me and doing the final hookups. I have not asked him about the media cabinet yet.

Kapdan

Ugh!
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Exactly what do you mean by ugh?

yes to both questions.

I think he means that if you don't know where the filter goes on an installation I would send the wife and kids out shopping when you decide to turn on the system. Have your contractor make sure he thoroughly checks your system as he is just as liable in the event of a mishap. Everybody likes to save money. But you need caution. A furnace or other heat source is the only thing in your house that can kill you in your sleep. On a professional installation your gas line is checked for leaks, the manifold pressure is checked on the system, all the other parameters are checked as well. Do you have the equipment to do this or is your buddy going to do it for you. Or is he going to tell you don't worry about that stuff it's brand new. All the recalls on Cars were on brand new equipment. If there is a problem and you address a warranty issue are you going to tell them you slept at a Holiday Inn last night and felt there was nothing hard about doing this kind of work. Did you notify your homeowners insurance that you were installing your own system. They wanted to cancel mine because I installed a fireplace.

Angry

What I'm wondering is. Who let this dude have the equipment? That's the one to blame.

Dudes, since you have used the term, HVAC instsallation is not rocket science. I have installed the furnace, compressor, plenum, and coil correctly and it has passed inspection. I used the filter that came with the furnace and all I wanted to know was where the media filter cabinet went. I cannot properly size a system like many of you but like everything else, it is experience. This is just not that mind boggling. The electrical wiring, controls, gas line, etc. is not too tough if you have experience as an electrician, plumber, and instrumentation tech. I do have a Testo 350 XL analyzer which I use in my own business, just like the gas company does, and have checked for CO leaks. Maybe it's time for you guys to get down off your high horse and realize that what you do is sometimes not that difficult. I admit you can do it faster but I do not think any better.

so, genious, if it's so damn easy, why are you having issues with one of the simplest parts of the installation?

try reading the site rules. we aren't here for DIY.

Is this guy for real? Passed inspection? Under whose jurisdiction, yours? Better hope the hvac contractor you know is legit and knows his stuff because if you can't even do the most basic of things(the filter). How can you expect everything else to work properly. And remember, just because it passed inspection doesn't mean it will work properly. Should've paid the extra money and had the pros do the entire install.

How did it pass inspection without the filter cabinet installed?

Unless his jurisdiction doesn't require it.

Also if it did pass inspection, and the media cabinet was a "spare part", how many spare parts did you not know where to install?

It is quite possible that you are more than capable to do this yourself. However, posting a question asking where the media cabinet is installed does not tend to make me believe that you are capable of it.

You did a CO test for leaks, did you perform a combustion anaylsis? Did you do a temperature rise? Did you check static pressure?

Gaining a passing mark on an inspection does not speak to the quality of the install, or if the furnace is performing as it should.

seaton heating - if you had actually read (that is if you can read) my original post, you would have ralized it was for help with the media filter cabinet only. My horizontal filter is installed properly which I assume even you can do even though it is not a requirment for your lisence, that is if you have one. You seem to be the typical forum know it all that has answers and opinions for everything. Did you ever notice in other forums that the best in the business never respond to the forums of their own expertise i.e. Michael Shumacher, Curt Schilling, Tiger Woods. Many of the people that answer forum questions not only on this site but others as well are cronic underacheivers. Look in the mirror dude.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast