Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sorry, I know nothing about HVAC or pronblems that can be encountered.....so, forgive a stupid question please. I sometimes have a slight smmell of fuel from a oil furnace when heating....just a slight whiff at times. However, does this mean that my heat exchanger could be cracked and that I might need a new furnce...current one is 9-10 years old...thanks for any guidance you can provide

It could mean several different things. You need to have someone out to check the furnace and service the burner before the heating season gets in full swing.

Bobby

Unhappy Danger--Or Dead

Originally posted by mack99199
    Sorry, I know nothing about HVAC or pronblems that can be encountered.....so, forgive a stupid question please. I sometimes have a slight smmell of fuel from a oil furnace when heating....just a slight whiff at times. However, does this mean that my heat exchanger could be cracked and that I might need a new furnce...current one is 9-10 years old...thanks for any guidance you can provide
    Well, I would suggest that you have a service company out to check out your system. Or, go and get yourself a Carbon Monoxide detector from local hardware store..

P.S. Or you could just go to sleep and never wake up,as C.O. is orderless and you won't know until after your not around to get your questions answered.

Reply to posts

I had a service company here on Thursday Morning. The service tech checked out everything and said the furnace was fine. He noted the furnace was clean, running properly, and had a air temp from the vents of 120.7, which he said was normal.....My problem is that I still have an occassional fuel smell.....that does not seem normal.

As far as a CO detector...I got one today and will be using it just to make sure...thanks for your concern

Re: Danger--Or Dead

Originally posted by aircooled53
    P.S. Or you could just go to sleep and never wake up,as C.O. is orderless and you won't know until after your not around to get your questions answered.
    I have lots of customers say that to me. "Well, that wouldn't be such a bad way to go. Ha Ha"

To that my response is usually "Well, actually, you might wake up in extreme pain, convulsing, and drown in your own vomit, your kids would probably be really sad."

It might seem a little harsh. But what am I supposed to say? "Ya, real peaceful. Don't worry about it." ?

More Info...sorry

The service tech that performed the service never di clean any burner...he did check and watch it burn through a small porthole of some sort. He never changed the nozzle or anything else.....

The nozzle was changed last March, along with the filter during a service call....thanks again

You should also be aware that a store bought CO alarm which meets the UL 2034 standard is only designed to potentially save you from life threatening levels of CO.

It will in no way protect you from continuous low level exposure, there are only 2 monitors on the market that will provide this protection.

The NSI 3000 & CO experts 2004 models are the only CO protection devices that offer true protection.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Re: Reply to posts

Originally posted by mack99199
    I had a service company here on Thursday Morning. The service tech checked out everything and said the furnace was fine. He noted the furnace was clean, running properly, and had a air temp from the vents of 120.7, which he said was normal.....My problem is that I still have an occassional fuel smell.....that does not seem normal.

As far as a CO detector...I got one today and will be using it just to make sure...thanks for your concern
    Smart move on the carbon monoxide detector. Make sure to read the installation instructions and put it where it goes and how it goes. I see many people put them downstairs by the furnace. Probably won't hear the beeping when you are half unconscious upstairs, know what I mean?

Anyway, I think there is an answer to this. I read something about oil furnaces and occasional fuel smells. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody comes along and has your answer. I just can't remember because I don't service them. Maybe something with the nozzle? or atomizer?

EDIT: good advice from davidr about the quality CO detectors

Sounds like a slight delayed ignition. Doesnt happen but once in a while. Sometimes it can be time consuming catching it, doing the delay. Might take a few recalls to find the right combination of adjustments to correct the problem. It can be real agrivating for even the best tech. Good luck.

Did ya ever get that tank filled?
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

When I go on a service call on a oil furnace I make sure the flue is not blocked with sute. it is a must that it is clear. pull the burner assy out and clean the electrodes, set the gap, in stall a new nozzle and oil filter. discharge oil pressure MUST be 100 PSI for proper atimizing.
    if the furnace burned fine before this smell, then I would say the draft adjustment is ok.
    don't let anyone monkey with the draft setting ,it was probley set properly at start up.
    The CO. you buy your oil from should have a qualified service tech. that will be able to help you
    good luck.

your burner might not be tuned up good, you might have an oil leak, your oil pump cutoff might be going bad, as said before, delayed ignition. if the service you had was a cleaning, where the heatechanger is cleaned, the nozzle and oil filter should have been changed, as well as readings taking from the flue pipe, if that was not done it might be time to find another oild co. carbon monoxide is generally low from oil, although carbon monoxide detectors are vert important, and oil can produce high amounts, although uncommon. a smell could also be a crack in the heat exchanger, which can soot up a house as well as produce carbon monoxide.

please do not let this problem go on, find someone that can fix it for you, it can be dangerous, and lead to worse problems

Will contact service tech tomorrow

thanks for all your input, it has been helpful.....further info...one post mentioned possible sooting up the house as well as the slight smell......as far as I can detect...it's only a slight smell, no soot that I can see, or no smoke of any kind...as I mentioned will take all your advice and get it checked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast